Question

What are the most common defects for air conditioners?

The company I work for makes testing equipment for HVAC manufacturing plants, and it would be great to get some feedback from in-the-field installers as to issues that we should help manufacturers correct.

To get an idea of the testing equipment we've developed so far, browse around our website:
    http://www.ecicomplete.com

I would have to say the most common defect is not factory related. It's installer error.

Not doing the proper joint prep work and soldering.

One thing I'd like to see is like some have already done,
    Put a 45* angle on the service ports, easy access for gauges.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Most common defect is lack of knowledge, experience, and skill in many who install and service HVAC systems.

It's all junk, but it'll sure run great if it's put in and serviced with greatness.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Originally posted by eciguy
    What are the most common defects for air conditioners?

It's not so much defects, it's the crappy components that make up the units themselves. Unless the unit is the "top of the line" model, most models are equipped with garbage electric handling devices (contactors, cap, relays, etc). Maybe this doesn't apply so much down south, where A/C is nearly essential, but in the northeast the equipment is generally poor. Maybe the 'true' 4 seasons of weather has an ill effect on A/C equipment...who know, all I know is, after a few years the repairs are common.

eciguy,
    I have an idea for a cheap little piece of diagnostic equipment that could be easily installed on every HVAC system made. Drop me an email at rfelectron@aol.com
    Thanks, Lee

Parts/Installation?Service

I would say the access area of componets. Most units it's to small.
    Goodman/ If you need to add start relay/cap. where you going to put it.

That is on most brands I am not just singling out Goodman.

And if your going to install driers just leave it connected to unit ,not down in the bottom of system where hard to change-out.

I would say that Rheem has about the best service friendly unit to access or do compressor change or any other modifications..
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

One word "Shipping"

Don't forget loose nuts in the front of thermostats...

Originally posted by control_noob
    Don't forget loose nuts in the front of thermostats...
    Haha I got to remember that one.

I've had a few defects on new equip but I don't consider them common. I have encountered the following; Flat condenser aka no r-22, blowermotor running backwards on a non reversible motor (Goettl), can't thread male pvc fitting into condensate pan due to the angle or the hole in the pannel does'nt line up. I have a question. Most package units have a one inch hole (5 tons and less) for the electrical conduit connection. I see 99% use half inch or three quarter inch seal tight for elecrtrical connections. Now we need washers that you can't get at the electrical supply houses in my area. That I don't understand. Home Depot has them. I can't stand the whole home depot experience / hate it. I guess I need to buy a knockout set. They make a nice clean hole un like a hole saw. Sure would be nice if they could come from the factory with somethig less than a 1 inch hole.