Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: furnace install

Hmm

I installed a furnace with the door side up or on its back yesturday and relized with the help of a sales man that "There's a problem" and we thought this might develop hot spots in the heat exchanger. it would also let all debris fall into the heat exchanger. but I wasn't 100% sure.

The doors facing up...as in on its back? Your serious? I cant think of a single brand that would allow such a thing.

You might want to call the customer and let them now that your price did not include any warranty because it is improperly installed. Let your distributor know to so he can document it and relieve himself and the factory out of any lawsuit.

RULES

A: All installers must be able to read.
    B: All instsllers must read installation instructions.

Every one should follow the rules (this would eliminate abouut 99% of problems with new installs.)

internala/c I installed a furnace with the door side up or on its back

What! Have you installed before?

Really, you need to contact your boss and tell him whats wrong and that you need to go back and fix it even if its on your own time. I would ask about the inspector but I dont imagine there was a permit pulled for this side job.

Then tell him to invest in some training for his employees. Its a shame it took a salesman to point that out.

[Edited by docholiday on 02-22-2005 at 08:12 AM]

Originally posted by internala/c
    I installed a furnace with the door side up or on its back yesturday and relized with the help of a sales man that "There's a problem" and we thought this might develop hot spots in the heat exchanger. it would also let all debris fall into the heat exchanger. but I wasn't 100% sure.
    Good Lord.....
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by internala/c
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW
    Is this a joke? If not, what type of furnace is this?
    Well, if it's a condensing furnace, the condensate should help cool down those "hot spots" - seriously, though- you have created an improper, dangerous situation that will cause you much grief personally and professionally. I hope it hasn't been run yet. And don't just go back and flip it over!

this is gonna get good. take some pics and we'll help you out.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

You have to take some pic come on just do it for us.

I see this kind of install all the time here in TX. The problem is usually the roll out is tripped from heat rising.

The reason this is done: Old horizontal furnaces were taller than they were wide. New horizontal furnaces are wider than they are tall. It saves making a transition if you cheat by installing the furnace on its back.

No license, no permit, no inspection, no sense. Lock & load baby.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

I see this kind of install all the time here in TX. The problem is usually the roll out is tripped from heat rising. The reason this is done: Old horizontal furnaces were taller than they were wide. New horizontal furnaces are wider than they are tall. It saves making a transition if you cheat by installing the furnace on its back.

But how do they get away with it is their that big of short on installers out their what the dill?

There are plenty of qualified people here. The problem is we are all sitting at home on our hands. Every diy tom, dick & harry are out there walking out of parts stores by the droves with this equipment. The smarter ones fax in their orders and have it delivered right under the noses of the license holders that are sitting there on the counter with their heads in the sand claiming there isn't that much illegal activity going on.

Ya know, sometimes I think intelligent hvac contractors are just plain dumb.
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

oh boy, you thought it might develop problems.....lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast