Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gonna see YORK's factory. See ya all Thurs. morning.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

take me with! or at least try to get some cool pix.

Will this be your first trip to kansas?

If so, it will probably not look too exiting (The state that is, not the factory.) But spend some time there and check things out.

I moved from there in 1999 to move to connecticut and I kick myself in the ass every single day for leaving.

Here are some things to make note of when you are there that you may not find where you live.

1. When you go to a resteraunt and sit at the counter, the person sitting next to you will actually TALK to you. You will likely end up in friendly conversation with him/her the entire meal.

2. If you get lost, just go one more block and look at the street signs. See there, they actually HAVE street signs, at every block, that give the name of BOTH of the streets at the intersection.

3. If you miss a turn, just go around the block. In kansas, you can actually DO that. The turn you take will actually go around the block. It will not take you on a twisting, turning journey where you will have to drive 3 miles just to find a place to turn around to get back to where you were and get back on track. Everything there is basically built on a grid, so everything is straight. You get on a road and head east, you will still actually be driving toward the east 3 miles later.

4. If you are out on the road and have to use the restroom, just stop at any gas station. There, convenient stores and gas stations actually HAVE public restrooms.

5. Note people when you are driving down the highway. The culture there is so friendly that people will wave at you when they see you, even though they don't know who you are.

6. If you are there in the summer, there is plenty of A/C work to do. You will not be doing oil burner cleanings in july and august.

7. If you go into a supply house, they guys there will actually talk and BS with you. And the employees there will actually wait on you in a timely matter and not give you an attitude when they do.

8. Addtion to #7. If you have to go to a supply house, there will actually be one within 10 minutes. you will not have to drive 30 miles.

9. If you see an accident on the interstate and cops there with their lights flashing, just slow down to 45 mph and go around them. See there, you can actually do that. Traffic will not come to a complete stop in both directions, and you will actually still be able to get to where you are going in time without sitting in that mess for 30 minutes creeping along at 2 mph.

10. if it is snowing there, not too much to worry if you just take your time. Why? Because everything is flat, and straight. No hills to slide down, or up for that matter.

11. Cell phones will always have good service, providing your carrier has a tower in the area. There are very few dead spots, and no trees or hills to interfere with the service.

12. If you need something fixed, take it to the repair shop and just see what PERSONAL service actually is.

13.When you are there, crack as many jokes and be as funny as you want. People there will actually laugh right along with you. They will not just look at you like you are stupid.

14. Eat at resteraunts such as Sonic, Long John Silvers, ans Brahms. There, they actually HAVE these places, and the food there is pretty damn good. Up here in the northeast you simply will not find a good chicken sandwich or a nice tender steak in any resteraunt.

15. If you do install jobs, this one is just for you: Look around at some new construction homes. Note how when they run the duct work, it is all built at the shop and brought to the job. insulated and all. And at that, all the ductwork is insulated on the INSIDE. This is much easier than sitting on a job where it is 20 degrees freezing your ass off, putting together the trunk line on the job, and wrapping it in fiberglass insulation while choking the entire day. And you don't have to insulate the damn runs off of the trunk lines or even the return trunk for that matter.

All this and more is why as soon as I get the money I am moving back. I had my doubts about staying here 6 months after I came and wonder every day why I have stayed here this long.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the trip. Let us know how it goes.

...and watch out for tornados and old ladies riding bicycles.

Hey, that factory ain't in a town called Oz, is it?
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Yeah, if ya get lost just follow the yellow brick road.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

From an airplane the highways looked like they were drawn with a pencil and straight edge. I got bored flying over it.

But knowing Jack Spotts he won't get bored in the titty bar.

even the "titty" bars are flat. just as long as the beer isn't.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

You mean people actually live in Kansas? :-)

Is that the place where they claim to have good bbq??

Originally posted by mattm
    Is that the place where they claim to have good bbq??
    No, the best.

Where is the York Factory?

It was in Whichita

There was a place called Daves BBQ but we had to eat steak. Yuk! Oh well. York will be introducing a modulating furnace this Sept. at ComforTech. They have real nice A/C's
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

spotts...are you talking about Famous Dave's BBQ?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

I think so.

Like I said, I never found it and I'm really bummed. I have a real wood burning smoker and I want to see if I'm doing it right- real bad.
    Walter Matthau

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast