Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by 1972torino
    dont forget "static regain"
    good call.

jeremy, how long have you lived here? was this a problem last year?

has any one added refrigerant to this system recently? in the last year or so?

are you a faithful filter changer? if not you may have a clogged INDOOR coil.

it sounds like the system hasn't been checked in a while, it would be a good idea to have it done, and then twice annually thereafter.

and, it's not a very good idea to keep resetting a safety switch that keeps opening on you, it is there for a reason.(to protect the compressor)

good luck

Problems with Rheem unit

I wonder if this is a new system this year or if this is just a new problem. I have seen new Rheem/Ruud installs where this same problem exists. These systems need to keep the supply plenum the same size as the outlet from the air handler for 2 to 3 feet to keep the velocity up. If the plenum is too large, velocity is lost and you get the exact problem you are describing.
    Hope this helps.

Had Technician "fix" the problem

Had a local technician over who immediately checked the high pressure cut off switch (the reset button).With the unit off he found high resistance between the two sides of the switch. For a temporary fix he spliced the wires on both sides of the switch until the ordered one comes in. I voiced my initial concerns for safety and was reassured by the fella. He said that the reset button is tripped by pressure not by amperage and that there would be no safety concerns. He checked all the pressures and found them to be in specs. He stated there should be no damage to the compressor as long as I kept the filter changed. He stated that both Rheem and Ruud have this problem regularly and that most technicians have bypassed the switches all together. Any thoughts on all this??? Does it sound legit???
    Only cost me $50 so I'm not complaining at all. As long as it is safe.

Jeremy

He's full of crap.

We can argue over static regain all you want but I would laugh my arse off if a guy told me that I needed to have that done and it didnt reslove my problem and he still expected me to pay for it.

This is a non issue unless the ductwork downstream was poor in the first place.

You need a service call, you need to know how much airflow in cfm you have before you can start blaming airflow, then if you determine it is low then you can look at the unit rating versus the static the system actually is seeing and determine if the ductwork is the problem. If it is marginal, then maybe the static regain my help but dont count on it. If on the other hand the airflow is sufficient then what?

Re: Had Technician

Originally posted by myersjeremy
    Had a local technician over who immediately checked the high pressure cut off switch (the reset button).With the unit off he found high resistance between the two sides of the switch. For a temporary fix he spliced the wires on both sides of the switch until the ordered one comes in. I voiced my initial concerns for safety and was reassured by the fella. He said that the reset button is tripped by pressure not by amperage and that there would be no safety concerns. He checked all the pressures and found them to be in specs. He stated there should be no damage to the compressor as long as I kept the filter changed. He stated that both Rheem and Ruud have this problem regularly and that most technicians have bypassed the switches all together. Any thoughts on all this??? Does it sound legit???
    Only cost me $50 so I'm not complaining at all. As long as it is safe.

Jeremy
    This is very much like taking the battery out of a smoke detector to keep it from going off.

The HPCO was installed for a purpose. It's purpose is to protect the compressor (simplified).
    If it is bypassed, then it cannot protect.
    Get a different tech.

This guy is shooting from the hip.

Rheem and Ruud heat pumps do have this issue fairly regularly. Most of the time it is either airflow, i.e the supply plenum not sized properly or new outdoor on an old indoor. A refrigerant overcharge will do it also. This can be due to an oversized liquid line. Looking at the manufacturer's specs instead of just running the typical 3/8'. Just put in a Ruud 3 ton 14 SEER heat pump last week.Called for a 5/16' liquid line for anything under 75ft. Would have been easier to use the old 3/8' line but I didn't. I have noticed that Rheem has taken out the high pressure switch from the 10 SEER heat pump line. The 14 SEER also had a charge compensator.(receiver)

you got Rheemed?

Find a reputable service company! Look in the yellow pages for the name Rheem under Heating or airconditioning, then call the Rheem dealer to make a reccomendation, as to what company to call! next pay your bill, and enjoy the consistency of a good unit! and a qualified tech! I seen this happen, high head pressure variables, non condensibles, sun comes up in morning and trips hpco>hi press cut out reset, plugged blower wheel and evap coil, intermittent fan motor prob.... over charge, and so on, the hpco switch is a fairly regular prob with Rheem/ruud agreeable

[Edited by coldspot on 03-03-2005 at 12:51 AM]

I wouldnt feel left out!?

I went on a call for a second opinion, found that the t stat had both stages of heat wired to w2, the custome said that the last tech from another company there, said its normal for a heat pump not to work when it gets real cold outside. But the Emegency Heat has never worked ever the customer said! Next , the custome said the unit in heat mode makes strange noise outside, after the tech had repaired the system three weeks ago for cooling? I ent outside to check this roof top heat pump packaged unit whisteling like a jet, there was a shiny new reversing valve that was sticking, hooked up the guages and seen a high side in cooling after stabelizing of pressures of 350 highside and low at 80 psi, this is with a ambient of 50 f, and an indoor temp of 70 f. and when disconnectng the guages , the distinct smell of acid.... and it just got dark on me to make matters better, after all the last tech couldnt wait to bump-n-go! what does a tech have to do, and live with, to correct the prob and resolvce the prob, and get the homeowner to feel comfortable about tech's ever again? that was predetermined from the last guy that was there prior? well it's called roll with the punches, and taking the bad with the good, and hope theres a solution to every problem, since there usually is?!?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12