Thread: Why is it?

I was teaching a cave rescue class this weekend. Sat. evening we were going over the rules for the Mock rescue we were having on Sunday when I got a call from a fellow caver telling me there was a real cave rescue about an hour and a half away. We rolled on the rescue but it was almost over when we arrived (24 year-old female with rib and shoulder injury) mostly a self rescue.

The last 3 years during the cave resue class we have had a real rescue. This in it self would not be very interesting but, we have only had seven cave rescue's in the three years. Now why is it that during the class for the last three years, we have had a real rescue. Last year we had two rescue's total. Now this is in a 7 state area (Va, Md, Pa, Wv, Nj, De, Nc).

We have went from 50 rescue's a year in 2000, to 2 last year. Some are contributing this to the cave rescue class's we are teaching. I believe that there are less people caving and the media is not reporting the rescue's. When and if we have a major cave rescue and the media is alerted, we will again be doing a lot of rescue's.

Any thought's on this?
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I've got to be honest, I had no idea there were caves here in the US! Really! It's something I only thought existed in the ocean or in countries such as Afghanistan. LOL!

if you let me know when your next class is I値l push my father-in-law down in laurel caverns, we wouldn't want to break the tradition of having a rescue during class so what the hell I値l do my part. And if he crawls out before you get there I値l push him again just for you.

Advertising on TV does increase product sales. It stands to logic that publicity of the rescues would increase caving.

Every Thrill Seeker around watches the news story. Then they go buy a helmet, flashlight, and caving for dummies, thus becoming expert spelunkers.

Look at the bright side, it will give you much practice to refine your rescue technique.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Originally posted by dhvac
    if you let me know when your next class is I値l push my father-in-law down in laurel caverns, we wouldn't want to break the tradition of having a rescue during class so what the hell I値l do my part. And if he crawls out before you get there I値l push him again just for you.

This is funny, because two years ago the rescue was in Laurel Caverns.

There was a great article in Sports Illustrated a couple of years ago about a cavern that the Superdome could fit inside. It was amazing. I'm sure you know all about it. If you have a link to information about it pass it along. I'd like to get an update on the mapping of the place.

I think this is the cave you are refering to:

http://www.extremescience.com/LechuguillaCave.htm

It is called Lechuguilla Cave and it is in New Mexico.

This the one Sports Illustrated had:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ad...203/q_n_a.html

This is Rumbling Falls Cave in TN.

[Edited by karsthuntr on 02-21-2005 at 09:57 PM]

I'm going to the Great Salt Peter Caves in KY in march. I'll get my fat ass stuck for sure. Can I have your cell number?

Originally posted by mattm
    I'm going to the Great Salt Peter Caves in KY in march. I'll get my fat ass stuck for sure. Can I have your cell number?

Salt peter uhh sounds like they got the right guy.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.