Thread: Help - Duct work against floor joists?

Post Likes
    I am remodeling my basement and have a ceiling clearance issue. Local codes require no less than 7'.. I can't meet the 7' mark but the local authorities will give me a variance if I do the following:

Except for the first 7 feet of the supply run, raise the supply run so it is directly up against the floor joists. This would raise the ductwork 1/2" to 1". My question is has anyone heard of putting something such as tarpaper between the top of the duct work and the floor joists? I believe the purpose of this is to avoid any rattling noise that might be caused duct runs during expansion and contraction.

The first 7 feet of the supply run has to be replaced with custom ductwork done to make it wider and 8" deep. There is room to do this. The 7 feet comes from code in this area requiring it to avoid drying out the floor joists and making them more combustable (sp?).

Post Likes
    Sounds like another group of people with too much idle time on their hands.

It seems as though they will put changes or new codes in just jusitfy them being on a planning brd.
    No-matter how stupid the code is.

I go into tons of basements that in no way could ever meet those standards, But by them doing this, it allows them new money for apllying for a Variance.

I've not heard of the tarpaper deal,

If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    I actually ran into this problem before, but it had to do with 7' clearance only at the stairwell into the basement and they let the rest go on a variance. ( somethimg to ask about )

Post Likes
    give the inspector a c note and run the ducts as you wish

Post Likes
    One thing to also consider, if you put the duct tight to the joists you could possibly get a "bong" sound as you walk over that part of the floor, from the joists moving a bit.

Good luck

Post Likes
    all for a half inch?

Post Likes
    put cork pads under furn.,break mark duct,use duct connector with canvas in middle....maybe a little flex on branch runs.....do eveything you can to isolate vibration from furnace to ductwork....where it is not as ridgid.IMO

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in