Smile Mobil EAL Arctic 68

Hello everbory! Someone could give details about the diferrence between Trane #48 oil X Mobil EAL Arctic 68 oil if there is?
    Thanks in advance!

Material Notes: Mobil EAL Arctic Series are high performance Environmental Awareness Lubricants (EAL) that are fully synthetic products designed specifically for the lubrication of refrigeration compressors and systems, using ozone-friendly HFC refrigerants. (HFCs are chlorine-free products replacing chlorine-containing refrigerants in the world market). Mobil EAL Arctic Series oils are formulated from proprietary synthesised polyol esters (POEs) and a unique additive system to provide outstanding lubricity, wear protection, chemical and thermal stability, and hydrolytic stability. They are miscible with HFC refrigerants and have well-defined viscosity/temperature/pressure relationships with widely used HFCs. The performance of the Mobil EAL Arctic Series has been well documented with HFCs in a broad range of refrigeration and air conditioning systems and are used by many major compressor and system builders around the world. Mobil EAL Artic Series are available in ISO Viscosity grades 15 to 220. They are recommended for use in household and commercial refrigeration and air conditioning systems where HFC refrigerants are used.
    Application considerations: Mobil EAL Arctic Series oils are hygroscopic and care must be taken to avoid moisture absorption during handling. Packages should be tightly closed when not in use. Product should not be transferred to plastic containers that may allow moisture ingress. Mobil EAL Arctic Series oils are recommended for refrigeration systems where HFC refrigerants are used. Specific applications include: Household refrigeration such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and heat pumps; Commercial refrigeration applications such as business, shopping mall and hotel air conditioning, and low temperature transportation; Industrial applications such as food preparation and freezing, as well as cryogenic applications
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    Material Notes: Mobil EAL Arctic Series are high performance Environmental Awareness Lubricants (EAL) that are fully synthetic products designed specifically for the lubrication of refrigeration compressors and systems, using ozone-friendly HFC refrigerants. (HFCs are chlorine-free products replacing chlorine-containing refrigerants in the world market). Mobil EAL Arctic Series oils are formulated from proprietary synthesised polyol esters (POEs) and a unique additive system to provide outstanding lubricity, wear protection, chemical and thermal stability, and hydrolytic stability. They are miscible with HFC refrigerants and have well-defined viscosity/temperature/pressure relationships with widely used HFCs. The performance of the Mobil EAL Arctic Series has been well documented with HFCs in a broad range of refrigeration and air conditioning systems and are used by many major compressor and system builders around the world. Mobil EAL Artic Series are available in ISO Viscosity grades 15 to 220. They are recommended for use in household and commercial refrigeration and air conditioning systems where HFC refrigerants are used.
    Application considerations: Mobil EAL Arctic Series oils are hygroscopic and care must be taken to avoid moisture absorption during handling. Packages should be tightly closed when not in use. Product should not be transferred to plastic containers that may allow moisture ingress. Mobil EAL Arctic Series oils are recommended for refrigeration systems where HFC refrigerants are used. Specific applications include: Household refrigeration such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners and heat pumps; Commercial refrigeration applications such as business, shopping mall and hotel air conditioning, and low temperature transportation; Industrial applications such as food preparation and freezing, as well as cryogenic applications
    Thank you very much chrishvacman, for your explanation, I really appreciated it! I wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Quote Originally Posted by brztech View Post
    Hello everbory! Someone could give details about the diferrence between Trane #48 oil X Mobil EAL Arctic 68 oil if there is?
    Thanks in advance!
    Trane 48 is a 68 cSt viscosity POE lubricant based on Emkarate RL68H.

Mobil EAL Arctic 68 is also a 68 cSt viscosity POE, but is no longer sold under that name, it is now called Hatcol 3693.

Mobil sold their POE refrigeration lubricants business to Hatco, who was then bought by Chemtura. Mobil allowed Hatco to use the Arctic trade name for only a short period of time after the sale.

The Emkarate line was developed by ICI, who then renamed the lubricant division as Uniqema. Uniqema was bought by Croda, who then sold the refrigeration lubricants business to Lubrizol. Lubrizol has kept the Emkarate brand name, and they supply Trane with #48 POE lubricant.

There are small differences in the chemistry of the two POE lubricants in that they use slightly different raw materials. Both are high quality POE lubricants, but are not approved as interchangeable by Trane. I can tell the difference between the two POE lubricants when I test them, so Trane will be able to do so as well. If you are still under warranty, keep that in mind.

Rob Yost
    National Refrigerants
    Those that are unaware are unaware they are unaware.

Hey rob! Do we still have enough 22 out there?
    Short fall what short fall.
    “It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.”

- E.E. Cummings

Thumbs up

Hi Rob, how you doing? Hope everything is ok!
    Thank you very much for your explanation it really is very important for us! I really appreciated it!
    Have a nice 2011!
    Quote Originally Posted by RobY View Post

Mobil EAL Arctic 68 is also a 68 cSt viscosity POE, but is no longer sold under that name, it is now called Hatcol 3693.

Mobil sold their POE refrigeration lubricants business to Hatco, who was then bought by Chemtura. Mobil allowed Hatco to use the Arctic trade name for only a short period of time after the sale.

The Emkarate line was developed by ICI, who then renamed the lubricant division as Uniqema. Uniqema was bought by Croda, who then sold the refrigeration lubricants business to Lubrizol. Lubrizol has kept the Emkarate brand name, and they supply Trane with #48 POE lubricant.

There are small differences in the chemistry of the two POE lubricants in that they use slightly different raw materials. Both are high quality POE lubricants, but are not approved as interchangeable by Trane. I can tell the difference between the two POE lubricants when I test them, so Trane will be able to do so as well. If you are still under warranty, keep that in mind.

Rob Yost
    National Refrigerants

It is my understanding that Carrier accepts Emkarate POE 68 as an alternative to their OEM POE 68. Somebody correct me, please, if I am in error.
    God Bless our Veterans

God Bless the USA

Smile

Good morning Roby! Please don't forget let us know about the result when you test both oil ok?

Quote Originally Posted by RobY View Post

Rob Yost
    National Refrigerants

Quote Originally Posted by Randy S. View Post
    It is my understanding that Carrier accepts Emkarate POE 68 as an alternative to their OEM POE 68. Somebody correct me, please, if I am in error.
    The Carlyle recip compressors are approved to use Emkarate RL68H. The Carrier centrifugals are not approved for RL68H in all cases. Carrier is working on approving replacements for the Castrol SW products they use in their centrifugal and screw compressors.

Rob Yost
    National Refrigerants

Quote Originally Posted by brztech View Post
    Good morning Roby! Please don't forget let us know about the result when you test both oil ok?
    We test these oils daily from sample kits sent in from HVAC/R equipment in the field. My lab can tell the difference between the Mobil (Hatcol) and Trane (Lubrizol) POE lubricants when we run the FTIR testing that we use to identify the oil type.

Rob Yost
    National Refrigerants

Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    Hey rob! Do we still have enough 22 out there?
    Short fall what short fall.
    We have enough R-22 on hand to last for a while.

The more people fix leaks and recover and reuse the R-22, the longer it will last. The more venting / leaking, the sooner it will go short. This isn't really rocket science here.

The EPA is trying to purposely create a shortage of newly made R-22 by not allocating all the R-22 production rights they have available, so they would stimulate more recovery and reclaim activity. There are a couple of chemical companies that are challenging the way the allocation was set up, and they may end up gaining more production rights to use to make more new R-22 than the EPA had originally planned to allocate. Time will tell if there is enough R-22 around, but I don't think it will go short this year. My crystal ball gets more cloudy the longer out it has to see.

There is still enough R-12 and R-502 to go around 15 years after production of new CFCs were halted, and R-11 just went tight last year. There is a whole lot of R-22 in installed equipment out there to be recovered and reused when the equipment reaches the end of it life, so there is no reason why there won't be R-22 around for a long time - how much is the question, and that depends on the refrigerant loss rate from the existing R-22 equipment.

Rob Yost
    National Refrigerants