Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
    The tax code is not structured so that 75%-80% is designed to help you lower or avoid taxes - it is designed that way as kickbacks to certain groups to keep these corrupt politians in office.
    Although I can't really disagree that the tax code of today is not being used by and for such purposes, the original tax code was designed so that all working citizens of this country paid their "fair share" to an general account so that we all could benefit by the great assets this country offers.

Such things as a militay to protect us, a Federal Government to assist in leading us, different departments to help protect us from ourselve and other, and a national road system that all can use for their benefit.

The original tax code system basically stated that you, as a tax paying citizen, can either send your money to us, the Federal Government, and we will determine where and how it can be use best for the general benefit of all citizens; OR you can keep all or part of your taxes IF you invest your money back into the US by such methods as creating a family including children, business investment, real estate investment and a few other methods. All these exceptions to the tax code beneift everyone from the local community to the greater good of the US.

Most of those exceptions still apply. Ask anyone who has a family (deductions), owns a business (deductions), owns their own home (deductions), invests in charaties (deductions) or even adopts childred from around the world so they can have a decent chance of having a decent life (deductions).
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Thanks for your condescending tone, I know full well the difference between the two words.

The tax code is not structured so that 75%-80% is designed to help you lower or avoid taxes - it is designed that way as kickbacks to certain groups to keep these corrupt politians in office. The by-product of this crazy system is that if you pay accountants and lawyers lots of money you can avoid taxes. If you think the accountant in a box is nearly as good as a real tax accountant and tax lawyer you have a lot to learn. There is no substitute for decades of experience, you can't put that in a box. If you think you can then next time you are seriously ill I suggest you go to the Internet rather than an Emergency room with real life critical care doctors.
    That's a heck of an analogy. See you prove you know absolutely nothing about taxes and probably quiver like a scared kitten when 5-15 rolls around. If you value running your company or house hold with any authority and then pass your taxes to a second party because NOW GET THIS you don't understand the tax code, then you have a problem. Any charlatan can pose as a tax authority.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    That's a heck of an analogy. See you prove you know absolutely nothing about taxes and probably quiver like a scared kitten when 5-15 rolls around. If you value running your company or house hold with any authority and then pass your taxes to a second party because NOW GET THIS you don't understand the tax code, then you have a problem. Any charlatan can pose as a tax authority.
    Yes and as we all know any charlatan can pose as a qualified HVAC installer

The point is an a non-expert you would not have your HVAC system designed by a computer program and then install it yourself - so why would you do that with your taxes? A computer program is only as good as the data that goes into it and a non-expert will do a less than perfect job with the data collection and the decision on how to use it. An expert Accountant and Lawyer will always do a better job than you will with your computer program. They know what things are likely to pass muster and which ones are going to raise a red flag and get you audited. Further, if you do get audited they are going to prevent you from putting your stupid foot in your mouth and making things even worse.

Yes and as we all know any charlatan can pose as a qualified HVAC installer

The point is an a non-expert you would not have your HVAC system designed by a computer program and then install it yourself - so why would you do that with your taxes? A computer program is only as good as the data that goes into it and a non-expert will do a less than perfect job with the data collection and the decision on how to use it. An expert Accountant and Lawyer will always do a better job than you will with your computer program. They know what things are likely to pass muster and which ones are going to raise a red flag and get you audited. Further, if you do get audited they are going to prevent you from putting your stupid foot in your mouth and making things even worse.
    well, you give a tax pro the data he needs to enter into the computer program and that's all he has to work with. What you don't understand is, the tax programs will walk you through all of it, depending on what you enter. And yes, there is a way that you can get them to stand behind you. I took on the IRS by myself, they are people just like you and me. They wanted 15k and I proved it was only 200.00.

well, you give a tax pro the data he needs to enter into the computer program and that's all he has to work with. What you don't understand is, the tax programs will walk you through all of it, depending on what you enter. And yes, there is a way that you can get them to stand behind you. I took on the IRS by myself, they are people just like you and me. They wanted 15k and I proved it was only 200.00.
    Totaly false, you have never worked with a good pro from what you are saying. You provide the information to the accountant in the box and it spits out an answer. It may be the best one, or it may not be, but you will never know. A good accountant asks you for specific information and depending on what that information is he may ask you for other information and ask many supporting questions to best determine how that information can be used. Just one trivial example, if you own a business and buy capital equipment you may be able to expense it or you could depreciate it. The box does not know the best way to go. It does not know the history of your business nor what you think it will do in the coming years, so it can't make the best long range choice for you.

hey Mr Expert? don't you mean 4-15 ???? A good tax account can fix your numerical errors
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Totaly false, you have never worked with a good pro from what you are saying. You provide the information to the accountant in the box and it spits out an answer. It may be the best one, or it may not be, but you will never know. A good accountant asks you for specific information and depending on what that information is he may ask you for other information and ask many supporting questions to best determine how that information can be used. Just one trivial example, if you own a business and buy capital equipment you may be able to expense it or you could depreciate it. The box does not know the best way to go. It does not know the history of your business nor what you think it will do in the coming years, so it can't make the best long range choice for you.
    I beg to differ, but the box does know whether to expense or depreciate capital equipment.

I beg to differ, but the box does know whether to expense or depreciate capital equipment.
    Exactly how would the box know what you plan to do in the future? Boxes act on discrete numbers, they do not think.

Either the Treasury secretary is a complete liar (which could be) or the boxes don't work except for the most basic returns.

I have played with the boxes, and they always come up with a higher tax liability than my professionals come up with.

Exactly how would the box know what you plan to do in the future? Boxes act on discrete numbers, they do not think.

Either the Treasury secretary is a complete liar (which could be) or the boxes don't work except for the most basic returns.

I have played with the boxes, and they always come up with a higher tax liability than my professionals come up with.
    I used it to depreciate a rental property and expense my vehicle traveling back and forth for repairs. The box is only as smart as the person opening it.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    hey Mr Expert? don't you mean 4-15 ???? A good tax account can fix your numerical errors
    no error, 5-15 is a good date, just like 10-15

I used it to depreciate a rental property and expense my vehicle traveling back and forth for repairs. The box is only as smart as the person opening it.
    Exactly my point, and neither you nor I nor most people have the detailed knowledge of the ins and outs of the tax law the way professionals do. Perhaps you just have not found the right professionals that you can trust. I have a guy who is both a CPA and a lawyer and worked as a tax lawyer for the IRS for 10 years before going into practice for himself. He knows things from both sides.

Exactly my point, and neither you nor I nor most people have the detailed knowledge of the ins and outs of the tax law the way professionals do. Perhaps you just have not found the right professionals that you can trust. I have a guy who is both a CPA and a lawyer and worked as a tax lawyer for the IRS for 10 years before going into practice for himself. He knows things from both sides.
    The whole problem with taxes is that Lawyers and CPA's have people thinking taxes are to difficult for the average person. When it comes to my money I strive for above average.I'm saying everyone should and could.

One of the major reasons peole with even the simpliest of tax situations BUT have extra ingredients in their tax life is the ability to carry forward and to go back for certain deductions and tax liability situations. They change a lot and a person who is trained specially in keeping up with the in's and out's is really needed or a lot of money can be overlooked or, even worse, not paid with problems to show up in the future.

It never hurts to check in form time to time with a real tax accountant on a tax situation. People who do a short form are pretty much exempt from these complications. But own a few rental properties, converted you home into a rental or have even the smallest of businesses and you can benefit greatly in spending money on a tax advisor.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast