Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Well uninformed inconsequential one while I do not know what you know I suspect very little, I do know that the year the Bush tax cuts went into effect and everyone was screaming about the rich receiving a tax cut I did not. I am by no means rich but that year my wife’s and my combined gross income was $165,000. I lived it I know what occurred so bugger off TROLL.
    LOL, what a joke. Everybody received a tax cut. Some people were not smart enough to realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    Bar Stool Economics

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:
    The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    The fifth would pay $1.
    The sixth would pay $3.
    The seventh would pay $7.
    The eighth would pay $12.
    The ninth would pay $18.
    The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.
    So, that's what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. "Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20."

Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?' They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:
    The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
    The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
    The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
    The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
    The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
    The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.
    "I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "but he got $10!"
    "Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!"
    "That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!"
    "Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"
    The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.
    The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
    Great analogy. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Can't win an argument and you resort to this?

So you are the only person that didn't receive a tax cut.

In that one post you talked about my family, used a gay slur and resorted to name calling.

Well old man the world you knew is changing. I am glad you are alive to see it.
    Read into it what you wish not necessarily what I inferred.

There is a difference between a small business tax break and a tax cut by income level. In 2001 and 2003 I was not a business owner I was a commissioned salesman therefore I did not receive a small business tax break and incomes of over either 95k or 105K cannot remember which did not get a tax break all others did. It was a last minute thing Bush had to acquiesce to for the tax plan to make it through Congress.

The big problem I see is not the person that makes a lot of money by building up a company, creating a product, selling a service. The problem is that Wall Street makes money by moving money around to catch a trend. The money does not actually create wealth but takes it from the rest of us. We end up paying more for interest charges, or if they really screw up, as bail outs from the public purse.

Everything Ive ever read on the Bush tax cuts is that they were for everyone. Hasnt the argument of late been about letting them expire for folks who make over 250k a year ???

With the pugs not wanting that to change.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

I'm a conservative guy and I don't think it's a good time to do tax cuts.

I'm in favor of smaller government but tax cuts don't get us smaller government. Right now, tax cuts just mean printing more money to cover the difference.

We need to shrink the government first, then cut taxes.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Quote Originally Posted by maintenanceguy View Post

I'm in favor of smaller government but tax cuts don't get us smaller government. Right now, tax cuts just mean printing more money to cover the difference.

Raising taxes, which is in-effect what allowing the tax cuts to expire would have been, is an insane thing to do during a soft economy with high unemployment. Even most of the Dems know this, hence the extension of the cuts. A tax increase right now would further stifle the economy and reduce tax revenues even more.

Quote Originally Posted by maintenanceguy View Post

There is no tax cut. The rate will remain the same as it's been for the past 8 years. In fact, more correctly put, what is being discussed is reinstating the tax increase from the past. Nobody taxes will go down under any current proposal.

You may be conservative, but on this issue you clearly are not.

We need to cut government spending now across the board. A lot of people won't like it and it will hurt, but we don't have the money...period.

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    LOL, what a joke. Everybody received a tax cut. Some people were not smart enough to realize it.
    I apologize I looked it up I did actually get a whole .5% tax cut is 2001 while people making less than 45K got a 12.5% tax reduction and we all got an additional 2% in 2003 such a staggering addition to my wallet. So still those that pay the least got the biggest percentage and those that pay the bulk little to no relief.

Hmmm, not sure who this new ill informed child is or where he came from... however I guess it is time to go into the user CP and set another username to ignore.

I really think non-hvac folks should not be allowed to post at ARP... but that was nixed years ago.

I cannot tell you all how peaceful it is to not have to read the dribble of these fools. The only thing that bothers me if these idiots get to vote.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Hmmm, not sure who this new ill informed child is or where he came from... however I guess it is time to go into the user CP and set another username to ignore.

I really think non-hvac folks should not be allowed to post at ARP... but that was nixed years ago.

I cannot tell you all how peaceful it is to not have to read the dribble of these fools. The only thing that bothers me if these idiots get to vote.
    John this was originally posted in General and the OP has not returned.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

Typical you post no ideas on the subject and resort to name calling.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    John this was originally posted in General and the OP has not returned.
    I just found it a few minutes ago...

Seems to me we have a rash of liberals show up and 'drive by post'... I wonder of PJ or Geer are recruiting them just to stir the mud.

How goes it down there Al? Business good?

We had a cold snap and set a record low last Monday... we are more or less back to normal temps now. Work is steady, but still slow.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast