Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I think every home owner has to by a diy'r to an extent. I just bought my first house and I am always piddling with something. However, I stress piddling. I wanted some security lighting in the back. Even though I was confident that I could cut into an electirical line ie to the backporch light I still called an electrician.
    Installs, Changeouts, & Heat Stroke.....not necessarily in that order

The way I see it, a hack is a DIY'er, but a DIY'er is not allways a hack, nor are they nessisarily a trade jumper.

When I got married, I moved into my wifes house, fixed it up and sold it, (someone tried to get 220v into the garage with 10-2 romex w/ the white and black on the same phase. Her father, an electrician, couldn't fix it for her.) then moved back into my house that I'd had for 10 years. The old nob & tube wireing was adequate while I lived there alone, but when I moved my wife and new daughter back into the house, I disconnected every bit of the old wire from the panel (formerly a fuse box) and hooked up each circuit as I ran it in new romex. Our first week there, we had one outlet, and two droplights in the living room for light. I had to install everything from ceiling light fixtures, 3-way and 4-way switches, and outlets, to a 200A panel. I did it myself because I didn't want some hungover hack working for his third company in three years doing it. I exceeded code, and researched what I did not know.

A hack dosen't know, dosen't care that he dosen't know, and tries to keep you convinced he does know.

[Edited by TB on 02-22-2005 at 02:41 AM]
    TB
    Everyone knows something I don't.

2 Chronicles 7:14
    14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Well, he got to looking at the steering column and discovered that a joint (Can't remember the exact name of it) where the steering wheel rod joins to the linkage going to the steering box, someone had drilled a hole right through the center of both rods and put a bolt right through them to join them back together! LMAO!

If it the part I'm thinking of that it common to do if you install a body lift on a 4x4. The shaft has a nylon "pin" that has to be drilled out so that the shaft can be extended for the lift. Most people leave it that way for the simple reason that the 2 shafts do not move without alot of work. The 2 shafts have that nylon "pin" so that if your in a head on crash the shaft will collaps and not drive the steering wheel through your chest.

Just a FYI

Originally posted by canadiantech eh
    I think the home depot has increased the diy . Up here in canada (ontario) we are going thru alot of legislation documentation and suppliers not to sell to people without a gas lic. or must be working for a company with an account at the supplier. Lots of registration on refrigerants - must be a journeyman or registred apprentice and you must have an ODP certificate(Ozone depletion). If you are caught working with refrigerants without the certificate $175.00 fine min. Thats almost $100.00 us or there abouts
    Where about in Ontario?
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

I think the home depot has increased the diy

You are right they sell this book then the home owen will buy all of their home inprovement at home depot & lowes does the samething.

Most hacks are employed by the Ford Motor Company.

Where about in Ontario? [/B][/QUOTE]

Although I'm not canadiantech eh, I'm in Barrie
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Originally posted by gruntly

Where about in Ontario?
    Although I'm not canadiantech eh, I'm in Barrie [/B][/QUOTE]

Edge 102 says you have a mullet, is this true? jk

you work for a local guy or someone in to?

Originally posted by operator

Where about in Ontario?
    Although I'm not canadiantech eh, I'm in Barrie
    Edge 102 says you have a mullet, is this true? jk

you work for a local guy or someone in to?
    [/B][/QUOTE]

Mullet? Its longish, but all over not just at the back. Don't know Edge 102, but I might if he works around here. Only 140, 000 live here. Know most mechanics around here. I've joined the ranks of the senior mechanics here and I'm only 44. As far as work. I'm an O/O with a Savanah.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gruntly
    [B][QUOTE]Originally posted by operator
    [B]

Mullet? Its longish, but all over not just at the back. Don't know Edge 102, but I might if he works around here.
    Sorry, Meant the radio station, blundell on the morning show likes to crack on Barrie

Wink

Sorry, Meant the radio station, blundell on the morning show likes to crack on Barrie [/B][/QUOTE]

Got it.

[Edited by gruntly on 02-24-2005 at 01:12 PM]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12