Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I guess we are not the only tradesmen that see them.

I was channel surfing yesterday and ran across a show where this guy restores cars.

The guy had an old Ford Bronco that was pretty trashed and ready for the junk yard that he totally restored.

Well, he got to looking at the steering column and discovered that a joint (Can't remember the exact name of it) where the steering wheel rod joins to the linkage going to the steering box, someone had drilled a hole right through the center of both rods and put a bolt right through them to join them back together! LMAO!

The guy on the show clearly stated "If you are doing work like this, stop it. It's going to get someone killed."

I just wonder how much stuff they see like this in mechanic shops. LOL

If I help my neighbor put on a new roof ,does that make me a hack? When you work on your own car instead of an aproved auto mechanic,does that make you a hack? When you cut your grass instead of calling in a lawn service ,does that make you a hack? We are all guilty.

I wouldnt trust a mechanic to touch my car, no one takes a wrench to it but me, but Im not asking a mechanic how to do the job either, thats the difference, nothing wrong with DIY if you know what your doing.

There is not a trade from janitor to surgeon that doesn't see people doing dangerous stupid things in the name of the almighty dollar.

I hacked a repair on my truck to get it to the garage so the mechanic to fix it. Ran a wire down the side from battery into cab through lightswitch then to fuel pump.
    turn on switch and turn key to start. Told mech not to laugh too much. "hey, you saved 90 dollars for towing, whatever gets it in".
    Turned out to be problem with fuel relay, which he rplaced and checked out the other fuel system wiring.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Originally posted by fixit50
    If I help my neighbor put on a new roof ,does that make me a hack? When you work on your own car instead of an aproved auto mechanic,does that make you a hack? When you cut your grass instead of calling in a lawn service ,does that make you a hack? We are all guilty.
    Would not make you a hack at all to do anything you said here, if you are not "Jimmy rigging" stuff. Like someone else posted on here, nothing wrong with DIY if you know what you are doing. A tempoarary hack is one thing as long as you intend to fix it right as soon as possible.

There are a lot of home owners that actually know what they are doing, I don’t see any problem with those certain few doing there own work same as the guys that can do a roof, build a wall, fix a car or whatever the problem is when you don’t know enough to know you don’t know. In other words either know enough to do it right or expect to spend some extra money on your education.

The "helpful neighbor" is one of my favorite type hacks. It's mind boggling how much damage they can do in 5 minutes. Ran a call once where one of these types managed to replace a plug-in furnace blower relay with one that applied hi voltage to the low voltage circuits and vice versa.

In the blink of an eye, every 24v component in the system was destroyed. After finishing the repairs, I handed him the bill and asked if he'd give his "helpful neighbor" some of my business cards.

I think the home depot has increased the diy . Up here in canada (ontario) we are going thru alot of legislation documentation and suppliers not to sell to people without a gas lic. or must be working for a company with an account at the supplier. Lots of registration on refrigerants - must be a journeyman or registred apprentice and you must have an ODP certificate(Ozone depletion). If you are caught working with refrigerants without the certificate $175.00 fine min. Thats almost $100.00 us or there abouts

fixit50 If I help my neighbor put on a new roof ,does that make me a hack? When you work on your own car instead of an aproved auto mechanic,does that make you a hack? When you cut your grass instead of calling in a lawn service ,does that make you a hack? We are all guilty.

I have never looked at it like that good point.

Ya I guess I have to agree too. I cant say that I hire electrician or plumbers on my own stuff and when it comes to vehicals, if its something that I think I can do without screwing something up or being dangerous I will fix it myself. I guess for me I enjoy doing things that I have never done before just for the experiance . Now when it comes to what I normally do for a living thats differant, thats my job and after doing it for a long time I still enjoy it but I think I really enjoy doing things I have never done before more. Hummmmmmm guess I am a hack sometimes lol

dec Hummmmmmm guess I am a hack sometimes lol

No you aren't.A hack is like a jackleg but they just won't the money & they don't care about the customer.

If a hack was a guy that deos it all then all of us would like to be one.

I see a hack as someone with 3 feet. 2 to jump in with and 1 for his mouth. Lets face it. This is a trade (HVAC) that has much to do about a lot of things. There are certian things I won't do (I need a new roof) but for the most part no-one pipes, plumbs, vents or wires my house except me. I have seen and heard too many horror stories about people who guarantied they knew what they were doing...Right before they got thrown off the site. As far as my vehicles are concerned, I send them to this miserable mechanic with attitude that I have known for years. I look after his furnace and AC and he looks after my vehicles.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2¢.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast