Thread: 10 SEER still viable option?

Post Likes
    Would appreciate opinions on system recommended for new 5200 sq ft home in Chicagoland area where system would get average to above average use... Builder included (3) Carrier 93% HVAC 10 SEER (2 first floor, 1 second floor) with motorized zoned-damper systems and separate controls for each system. Also is 10 SEER still being used? Can replacement parts be obtained? Thanks!!

Post Likes
    Why would you build a top of the line house and install a bottom of the line unit?
    You need a two speed duel fuel Infinity zone system.

Post Likes
    Iagree with djken. 5200 sq ft home with 10 seer equip. Probably has all Viking stainless steel appl. in the kitchen, marble flooring,and 5 car garage. I bet those cars are'nt yugo's,but yeah better get a 10 seer.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    Not sure how high a SEER is practical in Chicago,lokely higher than 10,especially with new constrution interest rates,meaning it won't add much to the payments,if you have any.

I be sure to get the Infinity Zoning System,as it's really top notch,I spend money their before worring about higher SEER.Plus I'd get a model with Puron/r410a,instead of freon,for refrigerant.

Carriers 38TXA seris,would be the minimum to consider for an outdoor unit,furnace with variable speed fan,and Infinity Control and/or Infinity Zoning!

Post Likes
    we use the a/c about 3 months around here. furnace use is about 4-5 months. Chicagoland is EXPENSIVE. 5400 sq' is gonna be a big money house i would think at least 12 SEER equipment. where are you at?
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advice! Sounds unanimous alright! (Sure glad a friend told us about this site!) Will look more in to SEER for sure! (We're in Wheaton, tinner 73)

Post Likes

Confusing the subs

When you spec the "lowest of the low" for AC equipment, how are you going to communicate to the guy who installs the ductwork that you want THAT part done really well?

Because you NEED good ductwork in order for any system to perform well. The actual idea of 10 SEER doesn't bug me if only it were installed well. I am a homeowner in S.Texas and know the economics of high SEER is questionable, and that you run far fewer hours in a year than we do. But if the sub-contractors see bottom of the line AC equipment, won't they think you will accept bottom of the line ductwork too?

In the absence of a guru right this minute, I suggest you might spec a maximum ESP (External Static Pressure) for your system at a given airflow. Don't just ask for passable (I have .50-.60 sometimes, wish it were .40) but try to get yourself a margin of safety. So many of the crappy duct designs I know of, have the symptom of a too-high ESP. I would like to ask the actual gurus whether this idea is workable, and if they would second the idea.

I have seen bids which guarantee a certain level of humidity so this would appear not to be too much to ask.

Hope this helps -- P.Student

[Edited by perpetual_student on 02-21-2005 at 02:50 PM]

Post Likes
    wheaton...5400 sq'..... new construction....i knew you had money. i'd hate to see your real-estate tax bill. good luck.
    FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE!!

Post Likes
    agree not 10

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in