Thumbs up

I'm currently finishing an attic that's about 450 square feet. It's rectangular shaped with 4 foot knee walls. There will be a bathroom on the north end of the attic complete with shower, sink and toilet. My contractor is recommending baseboard heat and a window air conditioner on the southside of the house. The north window will be enclosed by the bathroom. My concern is that the window air conditioner on the south side of the attic will merely spill cold air down the steps and not adequately cool the north end of the attic space. Someone suggested a PTAC unit for both heating and cooling but my concern with that is a PTAC unit might lead to frozen pipes in the bathroom in the winter. Any ideas? Thanks

If you have a hydronic heating system then base board heat is probably the best bet. You should insulate any water lines going up there. As far as cooling, your only options are a ptac, window shaker, or a unico/spacepak system. If you went with a unico system, you could add a hot water coil to it which would give you forced air heat and cooling up there.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Thumbs up That's interesting..

I don't have water heat. It's forced air but the dinosaur in the basement won't push up air conditioning very well. I haven't heard of the spacepak system. How much does an average one cost with installation? Do you think a high btu air conditioner will do the trick? If I do go with a PTAC system, it will probably need to be located somewhere between both ends of the attic and I'll have to remember to leave the bathroom door open so the pipes won't freeze right?

I guess you mean electric BB. Maybe just get a small one for the bathroom or look into electric mat under the floor tile. Other option for the AC might be a ductless mini-split. Might give you better location placement in the attic. Depending how far north you are, you might want one with electric strip heat for sub freezing temps. Checkout http://www.mrslim.com

A ductless mini-split will run quieter than a PTAC or window shaker, and you can mount the indoor air handler almost anywhere that you can still run a drain out of it for condensate.

The unit would have to be set at a minimum temperature in winter to keep the attic pipes from freezing, so it wouldn't be a deal where you just flip on the unit when the space is occupied and flip it off when nobody is in the room.
    Also, are the water pipes on an outside wall? If possible, chase them up a wall that's interior, insulate them (both hot and cold), insulate the wall cavity that holds the pipes, and leave the bathroom door and vanity cabinet doors open a crack when freezing weather hits. Drip the faucet a little if you expect very cold temps.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Smile Thanks guys...

I appreciate the input.