Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Ok riddle me this, if the US does a massive roundup now since this law has not passed, and this will open that door now, and you said it does pass someday, there will be "more" illegals? How is that? I am no mathematician, but if you start sending folks back, or they start heading back, how do we end up with more?
    The key word in your post was if.

The Dream Act was originally a republican bill, with Orrin Hatch as the main sponsor with other republican co sponsors. It seems politicking is being done by the republicans too maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    The Dream Act was originally a republican bill, with Orrin Hatch as the main sponsor with other republican co sponsors. It seems politicking is being done by the republicans too maybe.
    Just because a Republican sponsors or proposes a bill does not mean it is any good, hell Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe are Republicans on paper. Ronald Regan for all the good he did made a huge mistake by providing amnesty to illegal’s in the 80's if he had not given it then we might not have the problem we do now.

Any immigration bill that does not deport all illegal’s there anchor babies and seal the border is inadequate; PERIOD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Just because a Republican sponsors or proposes a bill does not mean it is any good, hell Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe are Republicans on paper. Ronald Regan for all the good he did made a huge mistake by providing amnesty to illegal’s in the 80's if he had not given it then we might not have the problem we do now.

Any immigration bill that does not deport all illegal’s there anchor babies and seal the border is inadequate; PERIOD!!!!
    The argument by a previous poster was that dems were playing politics by even bringing it to a vote. I was making the point that Hatch and others who were for it and even sponsored it are now voting no, for the pure sake of politics. There were probably 8 republican sponsors.

Children born here are citizens.

In a previous post I suggested combining this with more border security and penalties for employers who hire illegals.

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    The argument by a previous poster was that dems were playing politics by even bringing it to a vote. I was making the point that Hatch and others who were for it and even sponsored it are now voting no, for the pure sake of politics. There were probably 8 republican sponsors.

Children born here are citizens.

In a previous post I suggested combining this with more border security and penalties for employers who hire illegals.
    Children born here to illegal's are not citizens the 14th amendment was not intended to provide citizenship to such people in either a literal or practical sense. The 14th amendment was focused squarely towards former slaves and cannot possibly encompass children born to criminals breaking federal law by being in this country.
    I am heartened to see you do at least agree that we should address the border and the hiring of illegals. Personally I think a business should pay a massive fine for hiring illegal’s undocumented aliens. Even to the point of putting a business out of business. It is very easy to determine if a person has legal status.

Children born here to illegal's are not citizens the 14th amendment was not intended to provide citizenship to such people in either a literal or practical sense. The 14th amendment was focused squarely towards former slaves and cannot possibly encompass children born to criminals breaking federal law by being in this country.
    I am heartened to see you do at least agree that we should address the border and the hiring of illegals. Personally I think a business should pay a massive fine for hiring illegal’s undocumented aliens. Even to the point of putting a business out of business. It is very easy to determine if a person has legal status.
    They are citizens whether you like it or not.

"Anchor baby" is a term used by immigration reductionists in the United States to describe a child born in the U.S. to illegal aliens. It is generally used as a derogatory reference to the supposed role of the child, who as a U.S. citizen through the legal principle of jus soli,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_baby

The Supreme Court ruled against your contention that it was meant solely for the slaves.

We do agree on your last paragraph.

Unfortunately the 14th amendment IS currently applied to make ANYONE born on US soil a citizen - it really does not matter how it was intended - it only matters how it is applied. While the concept of penalizing employers is a good one, it would be very unfair in practice as so many illegals have such good false documents that even governmental officials many times cannot see that they are false.

Yes, we should lock down the boarder, its a total joke that we don't. What about getting all the unemployeed to build a wall. They will actually get paid to do something productive.

The entire issue of legalizing these people is a fleeting one that will fade away over time whether or not they are given amnesty or citizenship or anything else as their kids all become citizens and they all eventually die, time solves the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kirbinster View Post
    Unfortunately the 14th amendment IS currently applied to make ANYONE born on US soil a citizen - it really does not matter how it was intended - it only matters how it is applied. While the concept of penalizing employers is a good one, it would be very unfair in practice as so many illegals have such good false documents that even governmental officials many times cannot see that they are false.

Yes, we should lock down the boarder, its a total joke that we don't. What about getting all the unemployeed to build a wall. They will actually get paid to do something productive.

The entire issue of legalizing these people is a fleeting one that will fade away over time whether or not they are given amnesty or citizenship or anything else as their kids all become citizens and they all eventually die, time solves the problem.
    I agree that currently the 14th is being applied incorrectly but there is a huge push by tea party and conservative legislators nationwide to correct this and to make it retroactive.

There is a very low cost program provided by the government (the name escapes me) that validates the legal documents and the social security number. In order to get hired "legally" you must provide SS # a simple check will reveal if that SS# belongs to the name on the card. Remember every illegal that presents a false ID/SS# is stealing someone’s identity which is also a crime and they should be prosecuted fully for this crime.

I agree that currently the 14th is being applied incorrectly but there is a huge push by tea party and conservative legislators nationwide to correct this and to make it retroactive.

There is a very low cost program provided by the government (the name escapes me) that validates the legal documents and the social security number. In order to get hired "legally" you must provide SS # a simple check will reveal if that SS# belongs to the name on the card. Remember every illegal that presents a false ID/SS# is stealing someone’s identity which is also a crime and they should be prosecuted fully for this crime.
    E-Verify

Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    E-Verify
    Thank You

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12