Thread: General Questions on Various Furnaces

Post Likes
    My mom is trying to replace 2 gas furnices and A/C units with one. The newest unit is 35 years old.
    She is looking at a 93+ effeciency with a 15.5 SEER A/c unit.
    My questions:
    1. One contractor stated that humidifiers were manditory for 93+ furnaces. Is that correct? Mom lives in Iowa
    2. A different contractor want to change the pipes for a 16 x 8 to a 20 x8, 16 x8, 12 x8, 10 x8. He stated that by not changing the pipes it would be noisy. Is this correct?
    3. A third one want to run a pipe across the ceiling to a sink in the basement when there is a drain close to the furnace. Any ideas?
    Thanks
    Andrea

Post Likes
    Wow that is alot going on. No it is not mandatory to put a himidifier on a 90+ furnace. If there is a floor drain right by the furnace why not use it. The ducts you are talking about changing may have to be, to use one furnace instead of two. Without looking at the job it is hard to tell.Have someone do a heat/cooling load on the house and make sure they have properly sized equipment.By reducing the size of duct work as it goes will make the air travel better.
    If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Post Likes
    First, Mom doesn't need any 15 SEER A/C in Iowa unless she just wants a fancy unit. There would be no economic payback. Even 12 SEER would be a long term investment.

Hard to say on the rest. We'd have to know what size furnace she needs and know how much air it has to move. Then know exactly what size ducts she has. Unless the ducts there are grossly undersized, pretty rare to have to do that much work to upgrade a furnace.

Post Likes
    'First, Mom doesn't need any 15 SEER A/C in Iowa unless she just wants a fancy unit. There would be no economic payback. Even 12 SEER would be a long term investment.
    '

ME: Agree. A 15 seer is an overkill (especially in the Midwest) unless mom runs the a/c day and night cause she has severe allergies and must have the windows/doors closed. I doubt mom would like the physical size of a 15 seer a/c unit --- tell her its roughly the size of half a car !

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Thank you for all of your information. I have passed what your comments were to my mom and she is ready to make her decisions.
    Thanks, Thanks, Thanks

Post Likes
    Where at in Iowa are you? I'm in Iowa City if I csan be of any help.

Post Likes
    We are on the other side of the state. Southwest of Des Moine about 75 miles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in