Thread: Damaged Heatpump fins

Post Likes

Question

Hello all -
    Looking for an answer.
    I'm looking into buying a house - everything looks great except for the outdoor heatpump/Air Conditioning Unit.
    Noticed that the fins are corroding - they almoest look like ashes below the unit. Can also see "green" on the coils.
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Age, environment and maintenance (or lack off) can all influence coil deterioration.

Sooner or later, all products succumb to old age. The loss of fins or their deterioration will impact system performance. The more deterioration, the more impact to performance. A qualified tech can make an evaluation of pressures & performance.

Post Likes
    Sounds like the previous owner had a male dog.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply.
    What would cause the fins to look like ashes on the ground next to the unit?
    What would cause this? Leaking Freon? Or just age? Would it be best to ask the current owners to replace this before I agree to purchase?

Post Likes
    Could be age and sitting in a pool of water all season or being covered up in the winter with a material that doesn't breathe but often it is the acid in urine that melts the fins away

Post Likes
    Age, oxidation, pool chemicals, drier vent location, wrong chemical cleaner used, dog urine just to name a few.

Post Likes
    Leaking freon - No. Oxidation is not a sign of leaking freon. In EXTREME cases, if the oxidation or rust goes far enough, it will induce a refrigerant leak. On replacing the unit - that's a point of negotiation, your best bet is to have a professional make a survey of what you have to work with.

Post Likes

Talking

The information has been very beneficial - I will have an HVAC Professional look at the damage to determine if the unit needs to be replaced and negotiate from there.
    I never knew Dog Urine could cause the damage?

Post Likes
    Dod urine can be very damaging and it tastes bad. Sound like the fins are water damaged. Ive seen coils that get hit with sprinkler water and the coil fins get eaten up over time.

Post Likes
    live365 Dog urine can be very damaging and it tastes bad.

Thats funny I told a new guy to the field that he would need all his senses when troubleshooting, including taste. and hopefully not need the sense of taste very often. LOL

Post Likes
    yes dog urine can and will leave a bad taste in your helpers mouth so limit his exposure. You know I did hear that bat urine is the worst and can cause heart burn.

Post Likes
    Bat urine has a high ammonia content and you will pass out from the fumes long before it gives you heart burn.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in