+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Home Owner with inherited GeoThermal

Post Likes
    Well I'm fairly certain that it's a problem light rather than a working light, since the unit next to it doesn't have it flashing, and the thermostat that controls the bad unit also has a red light that says check unit.

I'm looking around for another service company and the question is, do any of you know of good company's in the MD/DC area? Otherwise I'm just searching the net and might end up with another who could be worse.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
    Well I'm fairly certain that it's a problem light rather than a working light, since the unit next to it doesn't have it flashing, and the thermostat that controls the bad unit also has a red light that says check unit.

I'm looking around for another service company and the question is, do any of you know of good company's in the MD/DC area? Otherwise I'm just searching the net and might end up with another who could be worse.
    When you get someone out there, you might consider asking them to do a thorough inspection of both systems and write you a report of all the issues they find... then a short explanation of what each issue causes and the impact of that issue. Might also ask them to rank the issues in order of importance...

My understanding from reading this thread is you will get it fixed... just want value for your $$$... which we all do.

A word of caution: Knowing what I know about these systems... it is not a good idea to DIY HVAC equipment, especially geo... too many things that are not as they appear to be... and having both the training and experience are VERY important to good results. Pay the folks to do what they are pro's at, and you will have energy bills so low, you will be amazed!!!

Keep us informed as to your progress.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    i am in the MD area. where abouts do you live? i am also certified to service/install waterfurnace units

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    i am in the MD area. where abouts do you live? i am also certified to service/install waterfurnace units
    Clarksburg, MD...tried to figure out how to PM you but couldn't. If you come out this way let me know and I'd definitely have you come out, please provide a # to reach you at.

Post Likes
    i work for Rowan heating and A/C. we are out of highland, MD. i dont know all the rules but you can yellowpage us for the #

Post Likes
    OK, I'll call tomorrow...anyone in particular I should ask for?

Post Likes
    if you tell them its geothermal it will either by myself(tommy) or their son Russ. what type of WF systems do u have?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    if you tell them its geothermal it will either by myself(tommy) or their son Russ. what type of WF systems do u have?
    Premier 4 ton and 3 ton (3 ton is the problem).

Post Likes
    Omnipotent,

We apologize for not responding to your concerns earlier. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide technical assistance to homeowners for liability reasons; however, we will be more than happy to work with you and your contractor to find a resolution. Please provide your model and serial numbers, as well as the name of the contractor you are working with so that we may look into your inquiry further.

WaterFurnace International, Inc.

Post Likes
    People who say you should have 1 or 2 pumps based on the tonnage are wrong. That's like saying you need 1 ton per 600 square feet of living space. The size (# of tons) of your system determines the flowrate you need. The pressure drop through your system (loop + heat exchanger) then determines how many pumps you need.

I'm running a 4 ton system with a single pump in a closed loop with more than 3000' of pipe, and it does just fine. I know my flowrate is a little low, but my temps have never gone below 35 F.

Post Likes
    Is this problem fixed? If you have 2 systems running on 1 loop,both units having seperate pumps, you need check valves installed on the out going lines of both units, otherwise the flow from one set of pumps may interfere with the flow for the other unit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in