Thread: Trane XL-12000

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    Hey guys, I have a Trane XL-12000 gas pack unit with a heating problem. Sometimes the unit runs fine and at other times it won't. The unit is calling for a new board, but I'm wondering if there is something else going on with the unit. Like I was saying sometimes it runs fine and will get the house up to temp. Other times it will come on for a few minutes and shut off, while the t-stat is still calling for heat. It has more problems the colder it is outside. I have checked all of the safeties for continuity and all checked out fine. I pulled the flame sensor out and cleaned it, not that it was really in bad looking shape anyway but I thought it couldn't hurt. I'd appreciate any ideas on what to look for. Oh and yeah I'm a HO that has hung thousands of feet of duct work (mostly commercial) so I hope that will keep me in your good graces with out the HO barbs, LOL! Thanks again with any advice.

Post Likes
    may be a psi vacume problem. do you have a guage to check the vacume psi from the inducer?

Post Likes
    No, but I replaced the pressure switch last year. At that time I was getting cold air because the there wasn't enough pressure to keep the burner ignited.

Post Likes
    If the board says to replace board,do it IF you can pay wholesale for it. other wise get a GOOD Tech to look at it and have him go through it well b/4 replacing board.Did the board say "replase board or external lock out"?

Post Likes
    Solid Red, that code said to replace board. I talked to a tech earlier today and he said to check out the burners and see if they are corroded and to have a looksy at the heat exchanger to see if anything is going on with it. If those things look good then it's probably the board he says. My nephew is a installer and he says that the HE's in a Trane don't last but about ten years. My unit is eleven years old, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow what the problem is.

Post Likes

Talking Hey kleerline

I checked the burners and the heat exchanger, and they looked real good, so I replaced the board. Trane must be real proud of conversion kit, for what it cost, the board was very resonably priced however. But it's runnin like a champ. Thanks for your suggestions

Post Likes
    read rules

Post Likes
    Did I ask for a price?
    Maybe you need to re-read the post and u-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d the r-u-l-e-s before you post.

Post Likes
    no diy

Post Likes
    its #2

Post Likes

Exclamation

You know, maybe the guy that owns this site, otta plainley state that no DIY'ers should post here. Guess I already knew that anyway, but after reading posts here for a couple of years, thought maybe I could get alittle help from some folks that understand that you gotta have a delivery system for a unit, which I used to do a plenty of.

Post Likes
    Do-It-Yourselfers - not here.

This site is for industry professionals and folks seeking HVAC/R advice and knowledge. Please do not ask for step by step instructions on purchasing, installing or repairing your own HVAC equipment, that is our job and our livelihood. We are generous, but not to a fault.

Questions of this type will not be answered and may be deleted.
    You're right! Excuse the hell outta me plz.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by duct beater
    You know, maybe the guy that owns this site, otta plainley state that no DIY'ers should post here. Guess I already knew that anyway, but after reading posts here for a couple of years, thought maybe I could get alittle help from some folks that understand that you gotta have a delivery system for a unit, which I used to do a plenty of.
    you say you have been around for a couple years? what did you go by befor? it says you are a new member you just regestered

Post Likes

Thumbs up

I posted along time ago, but couldn't remember the username etc. But I enjoy reading the general posts along with the pro and hack pic's. Esp, when you guys give dice hell; it's good stuff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in