Thread: Furnace terminal wiring picture?

Post Likes

Exclamation

I have a Rheem 90 Plus, gas furnace, 1996 build. I'm trying to find a picture of the PROPER wiring for the furnace control panel. (I'm not sure what it's called, but its where the terminal letters are, R,C,Y,W,G,O, etc inside the furnace panel. Trying to find out if this yellow & red should be on the same Y terminal, as it currently is. If anyone could direct me to a site where I can compare, I would sincerely appreciate it. Someone has tampered with the terminal panel and I need to know if there's any immediate danger.

Post Likes

Hmm

How do you know someone has "tampered"
    with it? Is something not working.
    More info please.Gas furnace.Electric,
    heatpump,gas funace with a/c.
    You get the picture now.
    Please feel free to ask.
    But you got to give us some
    kinda clue.
    41Gasman

Post Likes
    Excuse me for not giving more info...it's my first time here and I'm not a HVAC tech.
    It's a Rheem 90 plus gas furnace (basement) with an ac unit (outside), it's dated 1996, was installed in 1997. It's a 2 family house in CT and each floor has a separate system. Never had a problem until last week. I noticed excessive dust coming in thru the heating vent. When I went and checked the furnace, I saw that the filter had been removed and laid aside the furnace. The control panel had been removed and replaced...last year the serviceman placed some metal tape around the panel door, and it had been removed. I then checked the thermostat and found that the fan wouldn't turn on.(when the heat kicks on, it works fine) but the fan alone doesn't work. After looking close at the terminals, I noticed that there was a red and yellow wire on the Y terminal and I'm wondering if that is the norm. The Thermostat is a Honeywell manual.

Post Likes
    Normal, yellow is signal from the stat, red goes out to the A/C. Green wire on G turns fan on. Get that filter in!

Post Likes
    It might be best to have a tech come out and look it over. That way you wont have to concern yourself with matters which require a professional.

Post Likes
    Thank you for responding and that it's NORMAL. The filter has been replaced.
    Question: Is there a fuse between the Thermostat fan switch and the furnace control terminal? I'm trying to get a sense of why the fan isn't working, before I call in a Tech.

Post Likes
    Not certain on Rheem, but most do have a fuse in the furnace, but if it's burnt out, it won't run.

Odds are there's something mis-wired either in the furnace, on the stat, or somewhere in between. There are things that can go bad in the furnace itself that would cause that situation, but with any luck it's something simple (and cheap). Call a trusted company and rest easy.

Post Likes
    Rolan, if I opened a furnace and found two thermostat wires as you described connected, I would, as a tech, have some questions and suspicions that maybe other wiring had been changed also. You need a tech to troubleshoot your unit and see what has been done and why. The reason no one can tell you how to fix the problems is because you need to understand each component and its function and how they work together properly. We have all, for the most part, spent years studying and working with thousands of units gaining understanding to troubleshoot. There's no way on computer that it could be explained in detail enough to be sure you got it right nad didn't cause a hazzard or detriment to your equipment. I applaud your interest and curiosity. You would do well to get some books on HVAC and delve into them. Changing the filter is as far as YOU should go at this point.

Post Likes
    you should take a few minutes and read some other posts here of the people who were going to all a tech and diddn't i think you'll find that if your trying to save $$$$ the best way to do it is to not start letting the smoke out of componants in your furnace
    save yourself alot of trouble and BACK AWAY FROM THE EQUIPMENT

Post Likes
    Rolan,
    The color of the wire on the terminals is just for simplicity.

I know you want answeres but in order to understand the wires you need to know what they control,
    Otherwise the colors don't mean anything.

What we normanly put on "w" is white, But it could be purple, as long as the other end of purple went where it belongs. and it would be fine.

Although it would make the next guy shake his head for awhile.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    I thank all of you guys for the info and direction. I won't tamper with it. I'll do as this forum has suggested, call a Pro.

Thanks for being "gentle" with me...

Post Likes

Mr Ron

Why would a terminal having 2 wires on it cause you to be concerned?
    The wiring he has described is correct; the "Y" terminal has a yellow wire from the t-stat and a red wire going to the outdoor unit on it.
    It sounds to me like if there is a problem with the low voltage wiring it would be with the green wire.
    Make sure whatever color wire is connected to the "G" terminal at the T-stat is connected to the "G" term. on the control board.
    If it is correctly wired you most likely have a bad relay or broken wire, call a Tech.
    A woman has the last word in any argument
    Anything a man says after that is the beginning of a new argument.

Post Likes
    I found on two furnaces of rheem or ruud that the fan would not come on ( stat was in fan on ) because they didn't land a motor speed on fan terminal on circuit board.

Post Likes

Hmm Fan control

Rolan.
    Did the fan "on" work before the
    secret service call?
    I would wonder about somebody(tech?) who
    took the door off but did not tape
    it back up.Well ok thats not that big of
    a deal.But pulling the filter and not
    putting in a new one or something?
    Smells a little funny to me.
    Good luck.
    41Gasman

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in