Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Time

Hybrid View

Question

How long should a crew of two men (one lead and one helper)take to remove old 80% furnace (20 yrs.) and coil in basement, and old condensing unit outside. Replace with new units and bring up to code. Location 20 miles from shop. What would total time be including travel.

I dont think anyone can answer that honestly, How much experiance the crew has,traffic? weather conditions, stairs? pesky homeowner,reclaim,recharge,new line set,new plenum,gas line,electric, Sounds to me like you got a quoate or had this done and you were given a price and they did it in record time, now your going to use us here to get estimates on the timing so you can confront them with the bill. correct me if I am wrong. This is why it is better to charge by the job and not the hour. They give you a price for entire job from start to finish? One other thing,,is this crew you have a sub contractor or regular employees?
    HMMMMMMMMm something fishy here.

Hmm

Thank you for your reply. Nothing fishie. Trying to evaluate performance, looking for feed back for comparison.Just in general time.

Book says 6 hours for furnace-retro-fit, that is just change-out NO Extra's..

The book gives 4 hours for condenser-retro-fit,again this is NO extra's ,just vacuum ,wiring,charge.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Originally posted by 1manshow
    How long should a crew of two men (one lead and one helper)take to remove old 80% furnace (20 yrs.) and coil in basement, and old condensing unit outside. Replace with new units and bring up to code. Location 20 miles from shop. What would total time be including travel.
    Including new lineset, t-stat, condenser pad, sealing ductwork, and anything else to make the job "correct",
    I usually give my guys 1 1/2 days...but thats in Raleigh, NC
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Typically install jobs are estimated in man\crew days and never half days, what are they suppose to do the other half of the day ? That job, assuming it is a normal install sounds like one crew of two, two days. Or four man days. If they finish ahead of time on the second day, I would expect them to finish the day doing something extra and positive for your system.

Originally posted by fat eddy
    Typically install jobs are estimated in man\crew days and never half days, what are they suppose to do the other half of the day ?
    It may be different at your company, but we have plenty for them to do for 1/2 a day...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

i would vote 2 days...

Originally posted by aircooled53
    Book says 6 hours for furnace-retro-fit, that is just change-out NO Extra's..

The book gives 4 hours for condenser-retro-fit,again this is NO extra's ,just vacuum ,wiring,charge.
    What kind book are you using and where can i get it. THANKS

I've changed out a furnace in less than 4 hours (didn't hook up lineset or do a start up in that time). Other jobs I've spent much over 4 hours trying to get the furnace out (it was literally cemented to the floor and a room was built around it).

On average I'd say it should be possible to be done in 2 days pretty easy for 2 guys. I'm never really told what kind of time is bid into a job, I just do it and hope for the best. I don't rush to get anything done to beat the deadline, everything is done to the best of my ability and the best I can do with what I'm given.

And there are many times I'm done with a job around the mid day mark, I typically go tie up loose ends on other jobs I have going, go help someone else who might have a particularly bad job, or just gather equipment for the next day. On occasion though it's nice to just get off work early and enjoy the day.

Originally posted by 1manshow
    Anyone that has employees will agree that it depends on the two guys doing it. The time will be a lot different between two guys that know what to do and don't have to be told and one guy that knows what to do and has to always keep the other one busy. We have done 90 replacements in a housing job and could do 4 a day with three guys but they are all just alike and all three guys new what to do and when to do it. They were two units to each building and we did one building in the morning and the other in the afternoon (building were side by side most times). I would expect my guys to do your change out in one day but I won't bid it for that without seeing it first. LOL

I agree with 1 1/2 days for everything, from removal of old to new line set, t-stat, disconnect, tutorial for HO but if any bugs or hassels it can easily become 2 full days for tech and helper.

I've never took more than 1 day even with humidifier and 90%er. Did one today and house never had A/C before so needed all wiring and new lineset. 6 hours in and out, and I let my helper do most of the work. Spent other 2 hours upgrading the electrical service.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast