Thread: Toyota Prius

While in Vancouver, BC recently, I had a ride in a Prius taxi cab. It seemed to use the gas engine more than I expected, but I guess it was pretty much stop and go. It seemed like a surpringly normal small midsize car. The cab driver swore by it, said it will pay for itself in a year. Is that possible?

Sure, people keep paying to ride in it, of course it will.

It's actually supposed to use less gas stop and go then on the highway. When the brake is applied the energy is stored like a rubber band winding up and then when you start again that energy is used rather than the engine.

I'm thinking of turning my redneck Camaro into a taxi but at like 4 times the cost and calling it "The Ride Of Your Life".

My Texas Caddy is just way too busy with wife and kids to be driving someone else around, while the Sebring waits for warmer weather.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Do you think the technology will last?

It was about 25 years ago that it was tried,but didnt gain acceptance.The New York City Government workers were given cars similar to these.They were VW Rabbits.That program lasted about a year or so...I hope these new ones are better.

I still think they're barking all that cash up the wrong tree...Hydrogen is the answer for mobility. Perhaps not for internal combustion engines but some other generator to battery devise. I think these hybrids are still just an interm thing until something better comes along through technology. Push the technology. We gotta get off this fossil fuel dependency.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!