My wife and I are house shopping. A couple of houses we have seen online say they have hot water heat. We would want to add whole house A/C. What options are there in running a/c in a house without ductwork?

possible ideas, dont know how how practical each are:
    -running ductwork
    -running the freon lines to each level with point of use blowers?
    -is putting a unit in the attic and allowing the cool air to fall through the rest of the house?

What range of pricing would go with the different options.
    I am looking to see if doing the work would put the house out of our price range.
    We are looking at two story 1950s houses in the Pittsburgh area. possibly with plaster and lathe

Originally posted by mike015

We are looking at two story 1950s houses in the Pittsburgh area. possibly with plaster and lathe
    Possibly the best houses built for the money, hot water heat is the greatest. Many ways to add A/C, mini-splits or an attic jobber. Don't worry about that, consider the location it is way more important. Where in Pitt are they anyway?
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Find ya a nice house then call Diceman Heating & Cooling. He'll cool ya down good

I grew up on a house like you want, big old radiators from a converted gravity system. After 35 years there, the folks moved to a smaller place with forced air. Drove them crazy!

I just love Space Ghost...........

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Actually, baldie, that's Pennwood H & C. He doesn't go by his real name down there.

Getting back to mike's question. Since you are in the great northeast let me suggest what I do for a lot of my customers. Generally I hear. "We really don't need air conditioning EXCEPT on the second floor where the bedrooms are when it gets hot."

And me being the sauve sales engineer that I am reply, "Oh you mean like in June, July and August?" (And you guys wonder why I make the big bucks!)

Anyway my point is just size the system for the second floor. Have the contractor put a diffuser in the hall above the stairs. With this set up you will have good cooling 99% of the time for the whole house. Heat and humidity raises and the cooler air drops.

Next year when you get a night job and you are home during the day you might consider putting a ductless split system on the first floor to help out the central air that you installed in the attic.

We have done this for a lot of folks and they were happy with the results.

Also mike. Site rules is that we don't ask or give pricing on these forums.

Diceman,
    We are looking in the North Hills, Shaler area.

Thank you for the quick replies.
    So the ideal would be a split system. An attic only system would be OK, but not the most efficient. and and Attic-split hybrid would be somewhere between the two.
    Running ductwork wouldn't be worth the effort then.

Sorry about the pricing question. I didn't realise it was completely off limits. I thought rough ideas may had been ok.

Originally posted by mike015
    Diceman,
    We are looking in the North Hills, Shaler area.

Thank you for the quick replies.
    So the ideal would be a split system. An attic only system would be OK, but not the most efficient. and and Attic-split hybrid would be somewhere between the two.
    Running ductwork wouldn't be worth the effort then.

Sorry about the pricing question. I didn't realise it was completely off limits. I thought rough ideas may had been ok.
    No. My suggestion was to put a ducted system in the attic to condition the second floor. Each bedroom would have a diffuser and a central return in the upstairs hall. Additionally you would have one diffuser in the stair well. This diffuser would "temper" and dehumidify the first floor.

Then after you live with this arrangement for the summer you can make the determination whiter you need a ductless split system for the first floor. A lot depends on your lifestyle.

What Beenie said is very common around here too.

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....