Combination boiler and water heater

I live in Northern NJ and have a natural gas fired boiler (133 MBH) for HW baseboard heating and a storage tank for domestic HW. I'm interested in installing a tankless combination boiler and hot water heater that can provide HW for the baseboard heating as well as the domestic HW. Are there any manufacturers that make such products (2 1/2 bathroom home) for the US market? I've only seen Valiant and Worcestor Bosch for the UK markets.

Lots out there.. your installer will be the key in this project. A combo unit may not supply the dhw you need... depending on your use habits.

what manufactures and models do you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by rmcassidy View Post
    what manufactures and models do you recommend?
    Google "residential boiler" and you'll find many of them, most important is to get one that can be maintained by a local company, lots of heartache if you get an "orphan" system that local contractors can't service. In Canada, a good information source (general) is at http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/residential/b...ers.cfm?attr=4 ...

Boiler recs

Recommendations at http://www.wholebuffalo.com/reviews/Boilers. Both gas boilers can be equipped to also provide domestic hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by rmcassidy View Post
    I live in Northern NJ and have a natural gas fired boiler (133 MBH) for HW baseboard heating and a storage tank for domestic HW. I'm interested in installing a tankless combination boiler and hot water heater that can provide HW for the baseboard heating as well as the domestic HW. Are there any manufacturers that make such products (2 1/2 bathroom home) for the US market? I've only seen Valiant and Worcestor Bosch for the UK markets.
    I've installed Laars Mascots and Triangle Tube Excellence units, but they are really better suited for 1 bath jobs like condo's, cottages.

Is your current water storage tank an indirect or direct fired?

Quote Originally Posted by hydronicsman View Post

Is your current water storage tank an indirect or direct fired?
    if you already have a nice indirect, might want to stick with that strategy.

If it's just a crummy tank, Navien now makes a combi that supposedly is awesome, and really nicely priced.

I'll be replacing my old Baxi with Navien soon, and will know more then. If you like using both showers at once there may be idiosyncrasies to get used to with a combi. By February, depending on your incoming temps, you may need to throttle back your hot supply valve (I have to do this with my Baxi, Navien does this automatically which is NICE!!). Or install low flow shower heads.

Otherwise I'd be inclined toward the TT Excellence.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.