Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Furnace size required for 1100 sq ft house.

Hello,

I have a slight concern and would think this forum can answer my question since you all have a lot of experience with furnaces.

My question is what size of furnace is required for a 1100 sq ft house with R12 walls (basement and upper level) and R40 in Attic it is a bungalow and the basement is completely finish with heating.

Heating main level and basement, basement have cold air return vents and all rooms in main level.

I am in the process of selecting a GMVC95 - 0704
    Hi-fire output: 67k Btu
    Lo-fire output: 47k Btu.

This is a multi-position, two-stage, Variable speed gas furnace.

What do you think?
    Any help, comments would be appreciated.

richard

Quote Originally Posted by netminder View Post
    Hello,

I have a slight concern and would think this forum can answer my question since you all have a lot of experience with furnaces.

My question is what size of furnace is required for a 1100 sq ft house with R12 walls (basement and upper level) and R40 in Attic it is a bungalow and the basement is completely finish with heating.

Heating main level and basement, basement have cold air return vents and all rooms in main level.

I am in the process of selecting a GMVC95 - 0704
    Hi-fire output: 67k Btu
    Lo-fire output: 47k Btu.

This is a multi-position, two-stage, Variable speed gas furnace.

What do you think?
    Any help, comments would be appreciated.

richard
    You need a Manual J heat loss calculation to determine the best size for your house. Most likely a 95% 70k BTUH is oversized for your house.
    The smaller GMVC95045 would probably do it but you need the calculation to know.

I would suspect grossly oversized!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    I would suspect grossly oversized!
    You're probably right. I have a tendency for understatement at times.

Where do you live as that affects the load on the house.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

I live in Winnipeg gets pretty cold in the winter -29 deg C to -36 deg C.

I keep temperature around 20 deg C at home

I live in Winnipeg gets pretty cold in the winter -29 deg C to -36 deg C.

I keep temperature around 20 deg C at home
    It could be worse. You could be in Yellowknife or Whitehorse.

All houses are different and to know for sure, someone needs to do a load calc on your house to tell you what size you need...other wise it is all a guess and ball park.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

Seriuosly netminder - if you want good comfort you need to get someone to do the calculation, or with a little effort you can do it yourself for $49.
    http://www.hvaccomputer.com/

thank you garya505 for that link I will try that and see what I get. But just as an estimate if anyone lives in the same temperature and approximate square footage of house I am curious what is their furnace size. I know insulation values and windows etc affects but just looking for a ball park.

O.k I had a tech come in and said that around this area 46~70btu is what everyone has due to the cold temps but he did say that the furnace blower maybe set to high.

It cycles on low at start up (temp around 65deg-f) and then kicks in to high till it reaches the temperature of 70deg-f, then switches to low then shuts off (this takes about 15 min). Stays off for 7 min then back on again but on low this time for another 7 min this continues through out the whole day.

What do you think is causing this or is this normal??

sounds like you need to find where your heat is escaping

O.k I had a tech come in and said that around this area 46~70btu is what everyone has due to the cold temps but he did say that the furnace blower maybe set to high.

It cycles on low at start up (temp around 65deg-f) and then kicks in to high till it reaches the temperature of 70deg-f, then switches to low then shuts off (this takes about 15 min). Stays off for 7 min then back on again but on low this time for another 7 min this continues through out the whole day.

What do you think is causing this or is this normal??
    Your indoor temperature is going between 65F and 70F? Is that what you want? Is your thermostat controlling that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast