Thread: PEX piping

Hybrid View

bdr is offline Regular Member - bad email address Contact Admin
    Should I insulate PEX pipes from my boiler to hydro-air handlers? One of the PEX lines feeds the attic air-handler.

bdr is offline Regular Member - bad email address Contact Admin
    I realize this is not a DIY forum. My contractor just finished installing the system. I just thought about the insulation, or lack of, today.

At a minimum insulate the pipes in the attic. Whether its pex, copper or steel the water in the pipe can still freeze. The advantage of using pex is if it does freeze the pipe will probably not burst and its easier to install.

I always insulate PEX in exterior walls or in unconditioned spaces. Keep the BTU's in the pipe until it gets to the air handler.

Originally posted by smarks
    .... The advantage of using pex is if it does freeze the pipe will probably not burst and its easier to install.
    Easier to install at the expense of reduced flow rates and lack of total eye appeal. Pex installations are like electrical lines on the poles, droopy. YUK.

Yeah, insulate that PEX if you have a choice.

Pex lines up a wall to 2nd floor are not "DROOPY". I disagree about reduced flow rates. The inside diameter of 3/4 pex and copper is the same. Without all the copper 90's and 45's the flow rate will be even better.

When we use Hydro-air in the attic we insulate and use gylcol solution about15 to 20%

Originally posted by smarks
    Pex lines up a wall to 2nd floor are not "DROOPY". I disagree about reduced flow rates. The inside diameter of 3/4 pex and copper is the same. Without all the copper 90's and 45's the flow rate will be even better.
    I'm with you Smarks..not only flow rate is better,but it
    also reduce labor cost and materials.
    Just secure it properly and roll on..Pun intended.

I agree with smarks pex is excellent product,excellent flow rate, but insulate in unheated areas.

There was an article in P&M

magazine sometime back (I do not recall when and have tossed my old ones) on flow rates in piping materials. It compared flow rates of copper, steel, PEX and other piping. Of the various piping materials tested, copper was second best - PEX had less flow restriction & less mineral buildup. If it's installed by a craftsman who cares about his/her work, it doesn't look bad. Sloppy installs do look poorly, but that applies to anything- period. I have seen strange and shabby PEX installs and some pretty gruesome copper installs, too. Greg