Question

Guys,

I had an HVAC pro install a 15KW Heat Kit upgrade for my Goodman Air Handler (ARUF042), used to have a 10KW heat kit. The old heat kit had 2 breakers (60A each) and the new heat kit had 4 breakers (2 60 and 2 30). After the guy installed the upgrade, I didn't really notice much of a change, I called him and he came and looked at it and said it is working fine.

I looked outside and noticed that 2 of the breakers (the 2 30A) weren't connected to any supply voltage. Is this normal??? If not, I will probably to call the guy back out here, but I want to know what to tell him if something is wrong, and if it isn't wrong, I want to leave the poor guy alone and just realize there isn't much difference between a 10kW and 15kW heat kit.

Thanks in advance for the help!

If your house is keeping up to temp. don't worry about it.

Did he run a new electric wire from panel to unit?

The breaker is a double pole 60 and a double pole 30. Just 2 breakers not 4. Plus they look like breakers but they are actually a disconnect (this is in the airhandler), it is not supposed provide ovrload protection, it will but, it is not what it is designed for.

Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

It is keeping up to temp, but the reason I upgraded was a really high electricty bill. He put in my unit to start with and I talked him out of putting a 15kW in to save money (i think about $50). My unit was awesome during the hot summer and saved me a lot of money, but now in the winter it is doing worse than my old unit.

He used the same wire as he did with the old 10KW unit, he didn't run any addition wires only just the black and white one that was already there.

He left the two 30A disconnects turned off (I am guessing because there is no supply power to it)?

I work with electronics and computers, but geez this stuff is more complex than I gave him credit for at first!

The 60 amp breaker is for 10kw, the 30 amp breaker is for 5kw. So you still only have 10 kw. I'm not sure how increasing the amount of electrcity used by 5000 watts is going to save you money? It will heat up faster (if it was working) but won't be any cheaper. Is the heatpump working? Don't take your tech's word we already know he's not playing with a full deck.

You need to call someone else to evaluate your system.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I've liked using this guy because he is pretty cheap. But, I have long figured I am going to end up not likeing something because of the deals he gives me. I will call one of the big companies in the area just to get them to look at it and see what they can do.

He was saying that since my new air handler blows more air that I need a bigger heat kit. Who knows, thanks for the help. I think you have given me at least enough information to call someone else and let them take a look!

Thanks again for the help!

The old saying is usually true..
    YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!
    If one contractor is suprizingly cheaper than all the rest then there is usually a reason..
    I have seen many customers get burned over and over because they let the low price and a great BSer get their money over and over...
    It takes money to operate a business and to get the proper training and employees... If you pay for a half warm hamburger you are not going to get a fresh prime rib cooked by a great chef in town..

Customers need to get out of this walmart mentality and stop turning a blind eye to areas more important than price..
    Good luck
    You set yourself up for disaster..
    J

Thumbs down Electrician Needed~~~~~~~~~Licensed

Guess what it is not his responsibility to wire the (2) pole 30 amp breaker. It's yours,call an electrician and have them wire from the main panel to the air handler #8 THHN wire. Then be sure that you have (2) stage thermostat to bring on the stripe when needed, other wise they will time on and you will have 19.5@amps on each strip at call for heat by (1) stage..I they are stage properly they will increase the amount of heat you feel when the unit is calling for second stage.
    <<<<<<<<<Aircooled>>>>>>>>>>>>
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Yep you are right. I got myself into this and now I probalby have to pay more to get out of it then if I just had someone good do it at first.

It may not have been his responsiblity to run the power but, he probalby should have said something.

Anyway, thanks for the help.