Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks AR

My contractor does not advise I install it. They don't have much experience with them.

Originally posted by bnet
    My wife and I are building a house in Houston which is about 4000 sq feet. The builder's base unit is a 13 SEER Carrier unit with allergen filtration systems, fresh air damper, ultraviolent light system, and programable t-stat. It has 3 zones (Master suite, remainder of downstairs, and upstairs)

The builder is offering an upgrade to the Carrier Infinity system (for some $'s of course) which per the subcontractor would be a 14.5 SEER 5 Ton unit downstairs and a 16 SEER 2.5 Ton unit upstairs. It would also include all the filtration, fresh air and zoning as the standard system plus the Infinity controls.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Controlled filtered fresh air ventilation , at a constant 75-100 cfm when occupied is a commonly agreed requirement for providing oxygen and purging pollutants. Even more important is maintianing less than 50%RH throughout the home to prevent mold and dust mite growth. Uncontolled humidity in Houston during a couple wet years loads a home with allergens. You must be able to afford to purchase and maintain the system. Buying a complex, expensive system that is uable to control humidity when the humidity is high and the cooling load is nothing doesn't provide real IAQ. Get the humidity control part of this in writing to be sure.
    If you want the ultimate in fresh air ventilation while maintaining <50%RH during low/no cooling load chechout the Ultra-Aire ventilation dehumidifier.

Originally posted by teddy bear
    Originally posted by bnet
    My wife and I are building a house in Houston which is about 4000 sq feet. The builder's base unit is a 13 SEER Carrier unit with allergen filtration systems, fresh air damper, ultraviolent light system, and programable t-stat. It has 3 zones (Master suite, remainder of downstairs, and upstairs)

The builder is offering an upgrade to the Carrier Infinity system (for some $'s of course) which per the subcontractor would be a 14.5 SEER 5 Ton unit downstairs and a 16 SEER 2.5 Ton unit upstairs. It would also include all the filtration, fresh air and zoning as the standard system plus the Infinity controls.

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Controlled filtered fresh air ventilation , at a constant 75-100 cfm when occupied is a commonly agreed requirement for providing oxygen and purging pollutants. Even more important is maintianing less than 50%RH throughout the home to prevent mold and dust mite growth. Uncontolled humidity in Houston during a couple wet years loads a home with allergens. You must be able to afford to purchase and maintain the system. Buying a complex, expensive system that is uable to control humidity when the humidity is high and the cooling load is nothing doesn't provide real IAQ. Get the humidity control part of this in writing to be sure.
    If you want the ultimate in fresh air ventilation while maintaining <50%RH during low/no cooling load chechout the Ultra-Aire ventilation dehumidifier.
    Buying an overpriced ,crappy Ultra ,makes no sense maintenance nightmare.

Just go with Evoloution/infinity,it does the job ,ERV provides freshh air.DON"T go with the above ,he's the salesman. He could install or repair ,or understand a good system!!

kampeh - yes, this upgrade would include all the Infinity Controls, plus fresh air intake, UV light, full home filter, etc.

We are using a nation builder who uses a certain subcontractor to do their installs so we are "stuck" with them. There are really no exceptions to bringing in an outside contractor due to their corporate polices. The builder seems to have a very high standard in quality and inspections along the way so I assume that will follow down to selection of subcontractor and their work. I did check the sub out with the Houston area BBB and they have been a member for over 20 years and only have one complaint in the past 3 years. I know that probably doesn't mean anything, but we have already signed a contract to build the home and have purchased the lot so the contractor selection is unfortunately a moot point.

We are still undecided, but leaning toward the upgrade due to some cost savings plus comfort level in the house should be worth something.

Do the up grade, there are a boat load of factory schools they can send their techs to, we do factory and I do the in house trainning,
    To some one new to tdb/ydb they can be intimidating but they are the absolutly best in the world when matched w/ the existing system you are getting.
    Your utility bill will be exteremly low and very pleasing, its is unsurpassed in humidity control and you will never hear it run or rarely.
    good luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12