Intellipack II VFD

I have an 120 ton Intellipak II. It has a VFD drive (TR1) on the return fan and the supply fan. About 2 months ago I got a call that the unit was not running. I found that the unit was alarming "Return Fan Failure." The VFD display was showing the fan running at 30hz and the warning and alarm lights were flashing. The display to the unit was froozen so I could not view what the alarm was or do anything with the drive. I tried pushing every button and nothing happened. I stopped the unit on the HMI but the drive did not reset. I had to disconnect the power and let the capacitor drain. Once I turned the power back on everything was ok and the unit ran. There was not history of the alarm though besides "Return Fan Failure." I didn't think to much into this problem until it happened again yesterday. Now I am wondering if I have a faulty drive or fan motor or possibley something else. I am planning on switching the VFD with the other RTU to see if the problem follows the drive or stays with the unit. I am curious if anyone else has had this problem with these VFD's or with the Intellipak II and what the cause of it was.

hungry tech

I have several IPAK11

set the acceleration time on the return fan to 60 seconds and the supply fan to 180 seconds

What I have experienced is that on start up the supply fan comes up to speed and gets the return fan section in a negative. then the return fan comes on but it is too late!!!!!!!!1 ALARM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you can also go into setup and change the return fan failure set point down!

I also have had problems with the transducers on the static track!

but that is not likely!!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Did your drive display start working after resetting power? If not try switching displays with the supply drive so you can read the drive alarms.

When the TR1 faults it flashes the alarm code.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Mech View Post
    When the TR1 faults it flashes the alarm code.
    True, But a working display will make it easier to read the codes and also to be able to trouble shoot the drive.

I know that the display is suppose to flash an alarm, like ALARM13, but when this has failed these two times it was only the little LED light on the bottom flashing alarm but the screen was frozzen reading --.--Hz. When I reset the power the display started working again but I have no history of the alarm.

supertek- I will definitly look into the acceleration time parameters. I would think that if this were the case though that it would happen pretty consistently during start up and not just every few months.

This is true!

when I had that problem it was very frequent!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HuNGRYTeCH View Post
    I know that the display is suppose to flash an alarm, like ALARM13, but when this has failed these two times it was only the little LED light on the bottom flashing alarm but the screen was frozzen reading --.--Hz. When I reset the power the display started working again but I have no history of the alarm.

supertek- I will definitly look into the acceleration time parameters. I would think that if this were the case though that it would happen pretty consistently during start up and not just every few months.

I am thinking there is an intermitant problem in the VFD, a programing glitch or something like that. I was also thinking that there could possibley be feeback coming back from the fan motor to the VFD.
    Thats why I want to switch the VFD into the other RTU and see if the problem follows the drive or stays in the same unit.

you know?

I had another IPAK2 which had the wrong return fan motor!

it was supposed to be a 50 hp but was a 40 hp?

ofcourse the current was too high!

That wouldn't suprise me with these units so I am definitly going to check that. I'm going to try to make it there in the morning and look through all the parameters, the motor, the vfd wiring, etc.
    These units were about 1 month late from the factory due to lack of parts avaibility. I have already found that the cooling tower fan motors are not rated for wet applications, opps. I have replaced 2 of the fans already, have 4 more that will fail some time. I have lost 3 of 6 compressors. The worst part is these units are only 2 years old!