Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rescheck

Funny how you guys mentioned rescheck as the builder that we are in talks with has asked if we do that. We are located in Berks county in PA and he has been told that the county is adopting this new thing that he has to get for his homes. We do load calcs but I've never heard of this ResCheck... thanks for the website whoever posted it.

ttfn
    absolutehvac.

Does this ResCheck really have anything to do with HVAC contractors or is it up to the builders to ensure that compliance is met?

I'm not really understanding who is responsible for doing the ResCheck. I have read through the website (gave it a cursory read) and I didn't see anywhere that it mentions the HVAC trade specifically.

Heck we're still trying to figure out what counties want us to have HVAC licenses and when

ttfn
    absolutehvac.

Absolute,

I think, but am not 100% sure, that rescheck is required by the builder or GC, but the HVAC is also heavily involved due to the new IRC. Especially if you are doing RNC work.

Check the local municipalities, Sinking Spring, Wyomissing, etc, and see how they are enforcing.

BTW, Absolute, I lived in Douglassville for 4 years while I worked in our Reading store way back when .......

Rescheck, as far as I can tell, seems to be more along the lines of responsibility of the General, as it deals almost solely with the building envelope.

The "mechanical" section just asks what type if system and the AFUE/HSPF/SEER of the system are, if it's not a gas-fired steam system. I didn't look at what they want in regards to gas/steam, though.

It just asks for sq ft of the walls, doors, windows, ceiling, floors, etc, and the U-value of each item. (R value for walls and ceilings.)

Then it generates a checklist to be used by the building inspector.

Little to nothing is mentioned about the mechanicals, aside form pipe and duct insulation and such.

Originally posted by hvacprodmgr
    Absolute,

I think, but am not 100% sure, that rescheck is required by the builder or GC, but the HVAC is also heavily involved due to the new IRC. Especially if you are doing RNC work.

Check the local municipalities, Sinking Spring, Wyomissing, etc, and see how they are enforcing.

BTW, Absolute, I lived in Douglassville for 4 years while I worked in our Reading store way back when .......
    When were you there? I've done supermarket service in and around Reading since the early 90s.

Res-Check is a whole house energy code compliance check. It not only takes in the HVAC but also the whole house envelope from windows to doors to under slab and foundation requirements. Dependent upon the Authority Having Jurisdiction ( Municipality, County, State) chapter 11 of the IRC may be used (if glass is less than 15%) or the IECC may be used. When Res-Check is used, you are working off of the IECC either Chapter 4, 5, or 6.
    Res-Check has been used here in CT since 99.

Originally posted by hvacprodmgr
    Absolute,

*insert* We are starting out with RNC as that is the first customer we got for our new business We are not sticking to it solely however. We don't want to limit our customer base that much, that would be like signing your own death warrant before even opening doors!

*insert* So the municipalites are the ones enforcing this then? Apparently it's not quite written in stone in my area yet because the GC we're working with asked me if I knew anything about it... LOL

We're living in Bally right now but our office is located in Boyertown. Douglassville is about a 45 min drive from our house. Small world eh?

One last question for you guys (this forum is so very helpful ) so basically as long as we are sticking to the building codes in the latest code book we should be fine? We do load calcs for all our jobs as well.

ttfn
    absolutehvac.

Some areas have not adopted the "latest" codes, and, depending upon the particular AHJ, might not accept the "updated" code if they are not familiar with it. The good news is that MOST, not all, but MOST of the code updates exceed the previous code requriements.

There are some important changes/corrections to older codes in the newer ones, but some actually get relaxed a bit.

The NEC is a good example of the newer code requriements not necessarily "exceeding" the older ones, and, in some sections, becoming more relaxed.

Your best bet is to find out which version of the codes your particular locale is requiring compliance with. Asking first is always a good bet with these people.

Florida has had something similar since the early 8o's,Florida Energy Code.

True it's about the envelope,but the HVAC effiencey and insulation play a bbig part here ,so the HVAC or Insulators always do the calculation.Then we tell them how high of a SEER and HSPF they need to qualify the crappy envelope they are building.Works great!!

Dave,

You are correct, a lot of areas have not adopted the codes yet but they are required to at some point. I will have to dig out my notes from the codes seminar I went to and figure out some of the dates.

BTW, worked in Reading from 1984 to Sept 1988, then got transferred to the Land Of Dice

Been in the 'Burgh ever since.

Absolute, some of my friends from PSU were from Boyertown, know that little town well.

We've been living in this area for almost two years now and I still haven't driven around all the little side roads around here... they're all over the place

ttfn
    absolutehvac.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12