Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescheck

Do any of you use Rescheck with your proposals to customers?

A friend of mine, a talented, experienced HVACR guy that I worked with and learned from for several years is building a new house, and has called upon myself and another former co-worker/good friend to help design and build his new system.

He met us at the shop the other night, with the prints, and we came up with some fantastic ideas for this new house, but he told me that he was told he needed a rescheck report for his builder to get the building permit. I said I'd check it out. Just got done running it. Looks like it's something the architect should be doing, but, fortunately I had all of the relevant information to do it.

I ran the heat loads, of course, using the The finest, easiest to use hvac load program available, ( ) then transposed the walls, floors, windows, doors, ceiling, etc into the rescheck. It took about an hour. Turns out that the design of the new house exceeds the code minimum by 21%. Nice.

I don't really see a lot of relevance, and have never heard of any other HVAC companies doing this.

Anybody?

(Code enforcement is relatively new in PA, so, if I sound like a country dumb hick on this subject, it's because that's what I are. )

In case you're curious, this is going to be radiant in the basement and garage floors, heat pump first stage, to lock out at 40 degrees, then shift to hydrocoils in the ductwork.

Working out the control options right now.

Never heard of it, but I am from Pa as well, the land code enforcement forgot................thank God.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

That looks like no more then another load calc program.I
    dont see how they could hold you to using that specific
    program.
    As long as its a manual J calc anyones should be fine.

But you never know.I know in nc you have to use a certain
    foil tape in order to pass code.Personally to me that is wrong but you better not use any other tape or it will fail
    inspection.I sure would love to be that foil tape company.

To get back to the issue at hand,I never herd of that,but I'm in virginia.

Great choice on your heating option..But wont the heatpump
    mess with you come high humidity season?

All my new construction projects require a res check to be submitted to get a bldg permit. Generally we are 25-35% above code minimums using Eco block foundations, Nu-wool insulation, and 90 plus Rheem FA furnaces. I also have to submit a plumbing isometric drawing, liked it better without the new code.
    Not here for a long time, just a good time

XXXXXX

Originally posted by simpleman
    That looks like no more then another load calc program.I
    dont see how they could hold you to using that specific
    program.
    As long as its a manual J calc anyones should be fine.

But you never know.I know in nc you have to use a certain
    foil tape in order to pass code.Personally to me that is wrong but you better not use any other tape or it will fail
    inspection.I sure would love to be that foil tape company.

To get back to the issue at hand,I never herd of that,but I'm in virginia.

Great choice on your heating option..But wont the heatpump
    mess with you come high humidity season?

It's not a load calc program, no heat gain or heat loss, that I can see, at least, it's a complaince check program. Apparently, when you print out the report, it generates a checklist that inspector then uses to make sure you put in hat you said you put in. Oh boy. This oughtta be fun.

Who wants to sign this thing? I'll email it to you.

The heat pump is designed to maintain 50% RH. The high humidity season in the Poconos only lasts about a month, month and a half.

Originally posted by muskie770
    All my new construction projects require a res check to be submitted to get a bldg permit. Generally we are 25-35% above code minimums using Eco block foundations, Nu-wool insulation, and 90 plus Rheem FA furnaces. I also have to submit a plumbing isometric drawing, liked it better without the new code.
    So, it's up to you to run it, instead of the builder/architect, muskie???

We have only been required to conform to the "new way" since April 04. I'm no expert by any means, only submitted 4 packages to date. Still stumbling through the system, but finally starting to get some communication. I think the Res Check is the builders responsibility, but my nail benders are not up to speed yet so I help them out a bit.

I would go to the local township building and find out exactly what they want. My understanding is that each township gets to decide which parts of the code they wish to enforce. Around here things change on a weekly basis, noone really knows what's going on yet. But what I do know is the cost of residential construction just went up about 10% and now I get told how to heat and plumb a building by a man that lost his job at a rubber factory a year ago. Wow, the things I didn't know.
    Not here for a long time, just a good time

XXXXXX

Rubber factory, heeeheeee like trojans?
    Code enforcement
    We have ex dog catchers and failed builders, the twp secretarys nephew, patronage jobs sheeeeeezz

rescheck has gotta be the architects or the builders responsibility, but since I downloaded it no probelemo' $300 ought'a cover it

Dave and Dice,

Our wonderful state of PA has started looking very closely at the International Residential Code and is requiring all municipalities to, at some point, require permits to do HVAC work on new construction.

It is up to the local municipality on how they want to enforce it and hand out the info. Most, from what I have heard, are only requiring a copy of the load calculation and not rescheck, but that may be changing.

PHCC in State College and PSU have had some involvement in the certification of code officers and how to interpret the residential code.

So, Dave, it sounds like your area is one of the hotbeds. Adams Twp, near Pittsburgh, is also actively enforcing it. As is Mt Lebanon.

The site is actually in another county that I rarely work in.

Apparently, they're requiring rescheck for the building permit. I don't even KNOW what kind of hoops we'll be jumping through for the mechanical permit yet.

Originally posted by Diceman
    Never heard of it, but I am from Pa as well, the land code enforcement forgot................thank God.
    I wish.

Sounds like we're getting remembered...

Atleast we don't have to ask them what codes they use anymore.
    Just if they have any addendums.

I'll take a educated inspector anyday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast