I'm in the middle of building a house that's getting close to the drywall stage. A Trane TUD100R9V5K4 variable speed airhandler/propane converted heater, a TXH063P3HPBF (heat pump rated) evaporator, all lines/wiring and duct work have been installed. The outside unit is to be the Trane 19i 5 ton. I live north of San Antonio, TX and have been listening to some friends complain this winter about how much they've been spending on propane and I'm beginning to question the sense of installing propane heating intead of the heat pump version of the 19i.

My questions are, how much trouble would it be to convert what's already installed to a DUAL heating system and go with the heat pump 19i outside? Would it be an expensive additional cost? Are there any additional lines or wiring that would need to be run from inside to out before drywall goes up? Thanks for any advice!

Would not be hard to switch now. Just would need to get a dual fuel kit or better yet, Honeywell's Vision Pro stat which controls the gas furnace & a heat pump.

On the other hand, from what I've read about the reliability of the 19i heat pump, I wouldn't want one of them.

Look into the 16i though you'd likely have to swap out the coil. That one has a R22 TXV, at least it would have to go though I saw no ARI matches with the TXH063 at all.

You would need to have additional wires for the heat pump,at thermostat and at heat pump condenser.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

How many individual wires would run to both the condenser and the thermostat (other than power) in a dual fuel system? It's possible the existing wiring in place may have enough extras.

baffin,you should have at least 18-5 wire ran from condenser to airhandler and from airhandler to t-stat.If drywall is not hung run two sets to each,you can never have enough wire.It is alot easier now and wire is cheap.Do not run low volt wire any smaller than 18awg.

5 is not enough run 10,,,g,o,w,r,c,y1,y2,and 2 more for outdoor sensor

If you use the Vision Pro as a dual fuel unit, you should run 2 wire from the stat straight to the outdoor sensor. They say don't use extra conductors of your stat wire though we have successfully. Otherwise, 6 to the stat and 5 to the outdoor unit are a minimum. More is better in case of a problem later.