+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quadra-Fire Mt Vernon shutdown problem

Post Likes

Quadra-Fire Mt Vernon shutdown problem

I have a 2006 Mt Vernon (not AE) that is consistently shutting down after about 20 - 25 minutes of operation. It will start (often requires 'reset') , exhaust blower runs, fire starts up, it warms up, convection blower kicks on then the unit will shut down after short period. It appears the auger stops feeding?

I jumped the vacuum switch (no effect), pulled auger to ensure it is not jammed and cleaned everything top to bottom. Problem persists.

Some information suggests snap disc replacement needed or control box replacement.

Any troubleshooting tips and/or suggestions as to next steps are greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Ususally when a stove requires a "reset" to make it start it needs a good cleaning.

Have you removed the baffles and cleaned behind? They are very difficult to get off on that model and I have seen where people did not even know they come off.

I have also seen lots of stoves people claim they cleaned, and all they needed was to be cleaned properly and completely.

Post Likes
    After trying several things - bypassing vacuum switch, snap discs..., it ends up the auger motor is defective. It would run until the until the unit warmed up then it would intermittently stop functioning. The replacement motor fixed the problem.

Post Likes

QuadraFire 800

My stove starts just like it should, starts to burn, then the pellets stop and it shuts down. Not a vacuum problem, not jammed etc. I assume I need to find out how to ,clean it better? Is there a place that shows in detail how this is done ? I really appreciate any info. It's 10 degrees here and I'm burning fuel oil like crazey while my stove (which I love ) sits idle.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Thank you jtp, Ive got that very manual. I did evrything it suggests except check the vacuum hose, which I can't find. The auger works , and shuts down when you open the door, sugesting that the vacuum units working correctly. I cleaned everything I can find. I am wondering about the thermocouplar . I don't completely understand what they mean by
    1. The cover needs to make contact with the end of the
    thermocouple.
    the wire sticks through the ceramic .... gromet ?... but it doesn't 'contact' anything
    I replaced it last winter and it looks fine ( and worked fine until 3 days ago ), but I am no expert. I wonder if it's supposed to contact something as stated in the manual, but I don't know what.

Post Likes
    Above the fire pot the end of the thermocouple should be covered by a white ceramic sleeve. The thermocouple should go into the sleeve as far as it can, so that the tip is pushing against the end of the sleeve on the inside.

Post Likes

THIS SITE RULES !!

WOW am I glad you're arround ! I decided to purchase a new thermocouple ( even though the one I have isn't even one season old) because I can find nothing else wrong. When I got it home I noticed the ceramic tube was closed on one end. I bought my stove used and the wire end of the TC was sticking THROUGH the ceramic 'pipe' into the fire pot. I have been using it like that for 2 yrs ! No wonder I'm burning them up. I wrote the company and several dealers trying to get pictures of proper parts and what not. I may photograph mine and post them 'cause I'm no idiot ( .... debateable ) and this thing has frustrated me often. I still would recommend pellet stoves to anyone. Mine saved me hundreds already.
    Thank you again, you have been immensley helpful.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by keepmewarm View Post
    After trying several things - bypassing vacuum switch, snap discs..., it ends up the auger motor is defective. It would run until the until the unit warmed up then it would intermittently stop functioning. The replacement motor fixed the problem.
    How much was the replacement motor?

I have a problem where the auger just stops working when it warms up. I'm a noob and I have no idea what I'm doing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AKeate View Post
    How much was the replacement motor?

I have a problem where the auger just stops working when it warms up. I'm a noob and I have no idea what I'm doing.
    A motor failure would be the last possibility I would suspect. Auger motor failure is pretty rare on the Quad stoves from what I have seen.

If you have no idea what you are doing, call a pro out there to troubleshoot it.

Post Likes

Correct setting for control box?

Just wondering if anyone can tell me what number the translucent control box HHT# 7000-205 should be at for a Castile Santa Fe?
    Thanks Rick.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in