Thread: Ice Cube Relays

Post Likes
    Okay here is my first post and I will most likely screw it up. Iam having problams with the new censored cb28uh split system heatpump multi speed motors. I know why they burning up and that is because of a cheap relay the factory uses which I call a ice cube relay since it resembles a ice cube (clear plastic case). The relay is allowing both high/cool and low/heat speeds to go to the motor at the same time. Bad for multi speed motor windings this I know. But how can I get the factory to fix this problem. I can fix it using the heavier duty, old style blower relay a type 9340(costs money for this company) or I could place both the high and low speed wires to a single speed tap on the blower moter so if the factory relay fails the blower runs 24/7, but the motor lives to run another day. But I guess my question is how to get the Factory to acknowledge they have a problem. This has been going on for almost 2years now.

Post Likes
    My guess is that something in the unit is energizing both speed taps on the relay.

Something is either back feeding or you have other issues.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes

toolpusher

My guess is that something in the unit is energizing both speed taps on the relay.

Something is either back feeding or you have other issues.

the relay contacts are sticking allowing the mulit speed motor to have both windings powered up. If I use a heavy duty old style 9340 relay the problem goes away. My question was, how by hook or crook do I get the factory to admitt or correct the problem. BTW I have been doing electronics/ electrical for the Navy before this field. These Ice cube relays I first saw in the 70`s were soley used for control and not for power applications like motors

Post Likes
    Which headache do you want dealing with the factory or dealing with the customers ? The customer expects you to fix it they don't know the manufacturer.

Post Likes
    If you can make another relay work, then I'd switch it out.

I've seen alot of those relays your talking about.
    and like you said, I've seen them control circuits, not loads like motors.
    I haven't seen them do what your describing, But any relay is prone to sticking closed.

If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    Which headache do you want dealing with the factory or dealing with the customers ? The customer expects you to fix it they don't know the manufacturer.

Oh I hear ya brother but this aint my company and the man that owns it, will not alter the factory equpiment unless it is in writing from the factory since it seems some other companys would like to say "this is not per factory who put this in ".

Post Likes
    Take all the data with a report of the man hours going into the problem and lay it on his desk, ask him if he can help in getting the manufacturer involved.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in