Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Also do an ohm check of your test leads first test of the day I went nuts opened up my meter and checked fuses bla bla bla turns out one of my leads was broken internally Doh!

SO what have we learned today? pay attention to your test equipment so it doesn't let you down no matter what the brand

uei bites the big one field piece is ok but stick with the best get a fluke
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Originally posted by condenseddave

Batteries in meters are the weakest link in the chain.

I'd rather have a fieldpiece with a good battery than a fluke with a partially discharged battery, if my life was on the line. And that is saying something.

(There. I said it. Now all of you fieldpiece f*ckers can have a real blast. )

Enough said, Thank You

Yuma,
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Awww, you pack of bastiges got me worried about my UEI DL150... Cripes... I can't sleep now! What is the deal with UEI being so foul?
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

See how wound up I am??? Jeez... I meant DL250...

I'd lose sleep if I had to rely on one of their products.

I had the DL250 and it was giving me false readings and for a second I was ready to order a new xfrmer but thought I'de check with my analog to be positive. Sure enough it was the damn meter. That's when I tossed it in the dumpster and never turned back. I had 1 other UEI "forget the M#" But it resembled a Fluke 27. It got to where when you put the leads on say 120v it would go up and down varying + or - 15v. I traded that one off for a gun.

Smile Tinman

This post will be my next "Safety Topic" with the guy's at work. Thanks Roy

Originally posted by Yuma
    Originally posted by condenseddave

Batteries in meters are the weakest link in the chain.

I'd rather have a fieldpiece with a good battery than a fluke with a partially discharged battery, if my life was on the line. And that is saying something.

(There. I said it. Now all of you fieldpiece f*ckers can have a real blast. )

Enough said, Thank You

Yuma,
    I just went out and bought a gross of NiMh rechargeable batteries, and a case of each size fuses, so this never becomes an ugly reality.

Ok, I've trid several meters, would like a decent clamp-on that reads VAC/DC, A/mA/MicroA/Capacitance/Ohms.

What is the general consensus on Fluke, Amprobe, or similar?

I'm using an old SH66 temperature meter, (I like the 'button' shaped sensor to attach to Suction lines while monitoring temps, etc. But it's old and I'm questioning it's reliability; Any other thoughts on a good Temperature meter? Pref. digital.

I got a Fluke 52 digital thermometer on the advice of the guys here and it's real nice. The down side was I didn't get a case with it, so that another 15 bucks.

Hmmmm... just looked at the web site for Fluke 52 - seems like a nice piece of kit. I'll look into it.
    Thanks

If you carry a laptop, and want to be able to trend temps, etc, go with the 54.

I did.

I love that damn meter. The backlit disply alone is worth the extra $$$$.

One way to prevent a dead battery from ruining your day is to use a "wiggy" type selnoid tester. No battery needed. Its the viberating type tester.

I actually do have one with a battery its an Ideal "vol-con". The battery is for checking contuitiy only. I do a lead check by touching them and if it lights up then at least it means the leads are good. If the battery dies it does not affect the voltage measurement.

Best thing about this meter, you do not need to switch anything to go back and forth from volts to contuinity it does it inside somehow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast