Had a burnout on a compressor, recovered 16 lbs r404a and then proceeded to use 3 tanks of nitrogen to blow out the lines. I used 500 psi which resulted in a loud hiss and a cloud being released into the athmosphere. The guy next door was taking pictures of the nitrogen purge with the intention of sending it to EPA. I explained to him that I was not venting refrigerant but Nitrogen and any oil residue in the evaporator and lines, but to no avail, so I am waiting to hear from epa.

Have all your documentation handy: recovery machine registrations, reciepts from supply house showing returned refrigerant etc. I hope the video shows you hadn't returned the reclaimer and tanks to the truck yet.

Tell Allen Funt to mind his own biz.
    I wouldn't lose any sleep over a visit from the freezone police.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

You should have taken the guy out on the roof to show him what you did, and then pushed him off.

We do a building that the EPA is in and they watch us when we are working on the units, especially doing a recovery but except for a pop quiz one time no problems.

I think they may not bother if the pictures show nitro tanks, but just curious why 500 psi? I've never used that kind of pressure to purge seems (is) excessive.
    "Nothing else can poison our culture, corrupt our society or ruin the character of our people like unearned money or unearned opportunity." -- James R. Cook

"Fooling around with alternating current is just a waste of time. Nobody will use it, ever." Thomas Edison, 1889.

They were outside the fence no visible view of the equipment I was working with. They had a digital camera. I don't think that it is against the law to purge the system with nitrogen, is it?

No law broken,if it was ONLY nitrogen, but 500 psi as a purge is a waste of nitrogen, dangerous, and less effective than a steady bleed at about 50 psi.

The cloud, I take it was from oil? Didja dispose of that properly, or is it all over everything? THAT ould be a violation of environmental laws.

This is from EPA

Releases of CFCs or HCFCs that are not used as refrigerants. For instance, mixtures of nitrogen and R-22 that are used as holding charges or as leak test gases may be released, because in these cases, the ozone-depleting compound is not used as a refrigerant