Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 13 SEER by 2006: ready?

Post Likes

Post You guys have it easy....

Our state legislaton has implemented duct testing be done with evry system installation or change out...

And this must be done by an independent agency, go figure tht cost....

Additionally effect this January our local municipality is requiring a matchign indoor coil change out, go figure...

we already have been required to insulate our linesets with 3/4" wall with UV protection, before you know it we will be isnulating our linsets all the way to the stub on the compressors...
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Post Likes

Re: You guys have it easy....

Originally posted by AllTemp
    Our state legislaton has implemented duct testing be done with evry system installation or change out...

And this must be done by an independent agency, go figure tht cost....

For residential?? Which state are you in? Are you sure that's not just commercial and large residential (condos)?

Post Likes
    I am a small-time contractor. Never installed anything above a 12 seer as I have never been convinced that anything higher would be worth the money to my homeowners.
    Have always tried to what what i thought was best for my customers. Alas, when the 'gods' above require it, then I must conform.

The 13 seer standard ? Is it an absolute law now, or does it still have to be voted on or something.

I know that the r-22 decline in 2010 is not law yet, but must still be passed as law

Post Likes

Hmm

born riding, better brush up on the legislation that has ALREADY BEEN PASSED. This is not just idle conversation, but is just as much "etched in granite" as the demise of the 70% afue furnaces.

I am also AMAZED at your statement about not being able to justify the higher efficiencies to your customer. Are you being truthful with us here.... or is it just much easier to make the sale using lower efficiency, less expensive equipment? Sorry to hammer, but don't you believe your customers have a right to as efficient a system as possible?

If we take the path of least resistance, are we really doing justice to our customer? It sounds like you are one that will be taken "screaming and kicking" to the next level. I am curious, exactly when DO you belive it is in your customer's best interest to invest in high or higher efficiency equipment?

All temp: personally I would rather have control of ALL aspects of my job, from the electrical to the duct testing. If we have to think broader than what we do now, then that's what we have to do. Wouldn't you much rather be a one stop shop for your customer? We may have to ease out of our comfort zones, but that's just a result of our industry constantly evolving. If these areas are to become part and parcel within our industry, then we better learn to respond in a proactive fashion. It's gonna happen and is already happening in some markets, so we can grumble and moan all we want to, and get left in the dust in the process.

We, my friends, better start thinking WAY outside the box, or we will be a fatality of the process rather than an active participant in it.

I have used the illustration before. Going to a new $500+ custom home and having the homeowner ask me why in the world an 80% afue furnace was installed, when the 30 year old home he just left had a new high efficiency unit he had installed. He really felt short changed. I know, I know, our "friend" the builder did not want to provide a "complete custom package" and shortchanged his customer with what he requested from the hvac contractor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in