+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: magnetic nut drivers

Post Likes

Re: jrbenny

Originally posted by oroy54
    Doesn't that magnet also have the capability of de-magnetizing your tool?
    yes...one side magnetizes...the other side de-magnetizes

Post Likes

Re: Hex magnets

Originally posted by MikeJ
    Came in a bubble wrap package complete with a yellow holder

Think I bought it at Sears a couple of years back.

Had about a half dozen magnets already cut and sized to fit into nut drivers that don't have magnets in them.

Every once in awhile I run into that package in the garage and wonder why I haven't bought the nut drivers that don't have the magnets in them so I can use the dang things.
    I bought those damn things for a set of 3/8 sockets once. I used them about three days before I wished I'd never seen them. Seriously. Held everything but the bolts.....

Post Likes
    Speaking of magnatism... I have a digital manometer with a magnet built into the boot that would lift a 10 lb. sledge up... would like to find magnets of this 'magnitude' to glue onto the back of my electrical meter... any ideas? I've purchased round and flat magnets... but they don't work.

And I swear by my magnetic nut drivers and screw drivers... JET mainly.

Oh... and has anyone thought of shooting the inventor of the 'slotted' common screw with a ball of his own shite yet? If he's dead and gone, then they should dig him up and shoot him with a ball of his own petrified shite then.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Here, here ricm!
    I don't know about the 'shite' part but slotted screws are definitely nasty things and I think frankly dangerous in most uses!!
    I pitch any slotted screws I can on repairs...

Post Likes
    If we get rid of slotted screws then we would have to get rid of dimes.

Post Likes

Frown Yes the Slotted Screws ,

served their purpose in their time. I'm glad technology has moved ahead. I still run into them every once in a while. I use my Dremel grinder on them to make a deep slot or just grind them off.

Post Likes

slotted screws

and pilot burners. How many times have we come across that one screw that was....well snug? I use a drop of rust out and then go back to the truck for a 12" long flat screwdriver that I have ground down the larger tip a bit.
    Has worked many times. Beats me why the last guys even bothered to put a stripped slot screw back in.

Ricm: I get most of my larger magnets from speakers. The larger the speaker........We got a place called Axman that has used junk from about any type of electronics and hardware. I go there for one item and come out with two bags of who knows what?

Post Likes
    I'm yankin' the magnets outta my buddy's new BOSE speakers tonight then, I'm sure they'll take 'em back on Warranty.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Post Likes
    Best magnets in the world are in the least expected places. Find a place that salvages old computers for junk, get a bunch of old harddrives (usually free for the taking)take them apart you will find one or two rare earth magnets about 1" by 2". They float the pickup head over the platters in the drive, they also have about 25lb of pull to steel or 75 to 100 lb of pull to another magnet. they will reset duct smoke detectors from about 2 ft away.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by ricm
    Speaking of magnatism... I have a digital manometer with a magnet built into the boot that would lift a 10 lb. sledge up... would like to find magnets of this 'magnitude' to glue onto the back of my electrical meter... any ideas?
    Yup, hard drive magnets. You can find old drives (which also have fatter, more powerful magnets) on EBay for $1 each.
    You just need a few Torx bits to take them apart, and some patience. You should probably preserve the bracket they're held to and bolt the bracket to the tool you want to add it to. Most glues would come apart from the tool before the magnet came off the surface you slapped it on.

As far as magnetic tools, the most ideal one I've used is a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver. It uses replaceable bits, and has a small disc magnet in the shaft where the bit fits. It xfers enough magnetic field to the bit to hold a screw, yet doesn't cause the shaft to stick to every piece of metal on the way in to whatever you're trying to get to.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in