Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

slotted screws

and pilot burners. How many times have we come across that one screw that was....well snug? I use a drop of rust out and then go back to the truck for a 12" long flat screwdriver that I have ground down the larger tip a bit.
    Has worked many times. Beats me why the last guys even bothered to put a stripped slot screw back in.

Ricm: I get most of my larger magnets from speakers. The larger the speaker........We got a place called Axman that has used junk from about any type of electronics and hardware. I go there for one item and come out with two bags of who knows what?

I'm yankin' the magnets outta my buddy's new BOSE speakers tonight then, I'm sure they'll take 'em back on Warranty.
    Teach the apprentices right... and learn from their questions and ideas.

Best magnets in the world are in the least expected places. Find a place that salvages old computers for junk, get a bunch of old harddrives (usually free for the taking)take them apart you will find one or two rare earth magnets about 1" by 2". They float the pickup head over the platters in the drive, they also have about 25lb of pull to steel or 75 to 100 lb of pull to another magnet. they will reset duct smoke detectors from about 2 ft away.

Originally posted by ricm
    Speaking of magnatism... I have a digital manometer with a magnet built into the boot that would lift a 10 lb. sledge up... would like to find magnets of this 'magnitude' to glue onto the back of my electrical meter... any ideas?
    Yup, hard drive magnets. You can find old drives (which also have fatter, more powerful magnets) on EBay for $1 each.
    You just need a few Torx bits to take them apart, and some patience. You should probably preserve the bracket they're held to and bolt the bracket to the tool you want to add it to. Most glues would come apart from the tool before the magnet came off the surface you slapped it on.

As far as magnetic tools, the most ideal one I've used is a Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver. It uses replaceable bits, and has a small disc magnet in the shaft where the bit fits. It xfers enough magnetic field to the bit to hold a screw, yet doesn't cause the shaft to stick to every piece of metal on the way in to whatever you're trying to get to.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123