Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Can anyone tell me what its like to do service work in Phoenix?

HOT!!! in the spring ,summer and fall. Winter--nice!!!!
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price has gone.

I've been working in Tucson (approx 100 miles south of Phoenix) in the supermarket refrigeration field for about 13 years. It does get hot during the summers but I find it easier to deal with than South Florida weather (90* and 90% humidity).
    Jim
    Tucson, Az
    Keeping the Ice Cream Frozen!

Thanks for your response, I hear Arizona has a dry heat,So without the humidity I hope Its at least workable,I hear that 5 months of the year are the hottest, 110-120.

I think the hottest I've seen it was 117*. There was a summer not to long ago that I believe we had almost 100 days over 100*. I feel for the guys that are out on the roofs day in and day out in that kind of weather. Doing market refrigeration keeps you inside quite a bit.
    Jim
    Tucson, Az

I was born and raised till the age of ten in Phoenix, then moved to California, Modesto area, where I do A mix of residential,commercial and some low temp servicing and repair work,would like to get into more low temp work so I could work inside more.

Im moving from baltimore to phoenix in early march. I hear the pay is pretty good there. Also looking for a job when i come out if anyone is interested? 3 yrs exp (mainly as a service tech) 1 yr Hvac trade school. cfc cert. Im tired of changing compressors in 10 degree waether :-)

Don't know much about the pay scale in the North East but Arizona doesn't set the world on fire with wages. Now you can change compressors when it's 110* instead of 10*. <GRIN>
    Jim
    Tucson, Az

Would you say 110F in the shadow?

Roofs would be more like 150F.
    work to live not live to work

When I was doing a lot of rooftop work I couldn't wear black boots, they would suck in the heat. Yes, 110* in the shade. Kinda like a oven "BUT it's a dry heat!"
    Jim
    Tucson, Az

would love to hear about res installing, with from what i have seen a lot of attic work, man i would die going up in a 130+* attic,man how do they do it?

Very early in the morning I would think.

I am an Az tech and love doing service work. There are days in the summer where I just want to die.. a nice glass of hot water would taste so good.. actually if you prepare for the day with a good breakfast and plenty of water you are usually okay, you will have those moments but you survive. Installers in the summer work early and hard before the temp goes above 100.. If you prepare you will survive.. good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast