Thread: york

Post Likes

Hmm

anyone install the new affinity R410A heat pump would like to know any details about service or installation experiencesyou had.... thanks

Post Likes
    Installed and removed, was a nightmare and they could not fix it.

Post Likes
    Probably not installed right. York requires dealer training to install all 410A products.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by fat eddy
    Installed and removed, was a nightmare and they could not fix it.
    You mean you couldn't fix it?

Post Likes
    What kind of problems did you have with it? Would like to know more about the issues you saw.

Post Likes
    what color was it?

i've been hearing of troubles with the "bermudas" and "chocolates"

Post Likes
    The unit was installed for a department of the government that will only accept ozone compliant refrigerants, the unit was put on a roof with the air handler five feet below the unit it lost three compressors in six weeks and I did not do a service call on it York came out each time and said that I could not use the ceiling space as a return air plenum. that that was the cause of the problem and said that they will not put another compressor in it unless we resolved that problem. In our discussion i mentioned that the unit we took out was running fine and had for ten years in the same condition, he obviously couldn't put his finger on it so he fed me a bunch of fairy tales. This agency of the government will no longer accept a bid with York equipment on it in this region.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by billva
    what color was it?

That is hilarious.

Post Likes

Smile

For a simple panel change it makes a nice up sell! All though that comment was funny.......

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by billva
    what color was it?

Post Likes
    Hey fatty....Almost every compressor failure points to some type of installation or application error. I have replaced countless compressors and never had to replace one a second time. Most failures were a result of environmental, or application issues. Given the complexity of 410A and POE oils several installation and service gudelines MUST be followed or there will be a failure. R22 and mineral oil are very forgiving but 410A and POE oil is not. If I had to bet on it there was moisture in the system because of poor practices. I have worked with York equipment a long time and have found it to be less prone to service bulletens and recalls.

Post Likes
    The unit was installed for a department of the government that will only accept ozone compliant refrigerants, the unit was put on a roof with the air handler five feet below the unit it lost three compressors in six weeks and I did not do a service call on it York came out each time and said that I could not use the ceiling space as a return air plenum. that that was the cause of the problem and said that they will not put another compressor in it unless we resolved that problem. In our discussion i mentioned that the unit we took out was running fine and had for ten years in the same condition, he obviously couldn't put his finger on it so he fed me a bunch of fairy tales. This agency of the government will no longer accept a bid with York equipment on it in this region.
    bet the lineset was to short had a carrier 410-a unit same thing rep never looked at the linset. paid for us to install anew unit installer noticed line set was 10 ft extended haven't been back that was 2 yrs ago

Post Likes
    Are you serious about the lineset ? We don't actually install the stuff we sub it to some pretty good contractors, we also will not service the unit until it is out of warranty. The line set was amazingly short like I said it was about 5 feet away and thats at most.

Post Likes
    Why would anybody use the ceiling space for return air? Nothing like sucking in 100* air. Also did you make sure everything in the ceiling was plenum rated? I think the York tech's were right, high pressure's - high superheat = bad compressor.

Post Likes
    The ceiling ambient was pretty close to the room below it was not a factor.return grills are in the drop ceiling tiles just no ductwork attached this isn't that uncommon, and the new unit works fine.

Post Likes
    The ceiling ambient was pretty close to the room below it was not a factor.return grills are in the drop ceiling tiles just no ductwork attached this isn't that uncommon, and the new unit works fine.
    I'm sure the temps were close with open ceiling grills using the ceiling as return. Kind of like using the attic at home for a return, try doing a load calc with and without the ceilng as a buffer zone. Why wouldn't you do the installs or service under warranty? York won't let you?

Post Likes
    Using the space between the firerock and the suspended ceiling for return is common. All commercial work in my area is this way and designed by engineers. The insulation is above the sheetrock. This would have nothing to do with his problems.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by trane
    Using the space between the firerock and the suspended ceiling for return is common. All commercial work in my area is this way and designed by engineers. The insulation is above the sheetrock. This would have nothing to do with his problems.
    I don't think Eddy's got a double 2 hour fire rated ceiling if the Air handler is less than 5' from the condenser on the roof. Don't forget the York rep condemned the install and voided the warranty.

Post Likes
    Smith, you may be right. I would hate to think they would install it any other way.

Post Likes
    Our company does not install equipment, we sell it to contractors and sometimes direct to customers if we sell direct to a customer we sub out all the trades, have a factory start-up then respond to service calls if the call is a problem with the equipment we call the factory in to service it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in