Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I give them a quiz within the first 2 minutes of class. A little 20 point assessment. In our syllabus, we do allow them to make up tests and exams but not quizzes, so they are out of luck. If they lose 20 points a day, they get a chance to take the class again next year. We are not afraid to give students the grades they have earned. That is probably what seperates us.

Locking the door is against the fire code here. We have hooked up with the union so we are allowed to be more forceful with attendance and tardiness. The hours for school will not transfer if they do not meet certain requirements. This has forced us to install a time-card system where students have to clock in and out. If they forget, too bad, they lose the day. To prevent students clocking in for other students, we also manually take attendance everyday.

Not much else. But definitely do not feel like you are on an island.

Thanks
    REAK

Reak's technique of giving a quiz worth points is a great idea.

I am a student,i am juggling school, a fulltime job, a family, and a house renovation. My tartiness needs to cost me something, if it does not, then, I see that my prof. takes it as no big deal so neither will I.

One thing one of my prof's does is quiz every class, unless there is a test, the quiz is at the end of the period, if you leave early you can take the quiz before you leave but you will not do well, seems we alway cover material @ the end of the period. You do not get to ask questions, if you do not understand the questions, and are leaving early.

Please maintain control, the students who want to learn deserve your best.

One thing that several of my teachers have done is require you to call in if you will not be there. If you do not leave them a voice mail by the end of class you get a 0 on anything graded that day!
    Still learning opinions welcome.

Thanks, Reak, and others for responding.
    It helps to hear from HVAC students, also.

I will apply the things I already know to do, plus a little quiz at start end of each class.
    I'm printing one right now.
    Leaving early has never been much of a problem.
    Today, they were all in place, on time & ready.
    I let them know I was tired of tardiness.

Locking my doors does not lock anybody in.
    They can still get out. I have not investigated fire code, but I am pretty sure I am in compliance. The doors have panic hardware.

I must go give a quiz now...

Cover the first 10 questions on a 15 question quiz before they get there. Do that a couple times and they'll get the hint. As long as your serious about starting on time and serious about not repeating information they missed they'll get the hint that they need to be there on time and ready.

The difference in day and night students is...well... night and day. We get quite a few younger day students and working adults at night. I am fortunate to teach mainly second year courses. This makes a big difference because the other instructors have “weeded out” the slackers. I had one student that you could set your watch by, usually 20 minutes late every morning. I finally told him to try to be here on time so he didn’t disrupt class, he improved by a whopping 5 minutes.

Students just don’t seem to care about learning, only passing with a D so they can move on to the next class. I guess they figure if they get finished with a program they know all there is to know. I like to challenge them more than some of my colleagues. In the long run, they see that I really think this industry has a lot to offer, but is very demanding of knowledge. If it wasn’t tough to learn, there wouldn’t be quite as much of a technician shortage….maybe.

Originally posted by ar

...passing with a D so they can move on to the next class.
    I would like to go to a competency-based program.
    No ABCDF.
    Just Pass or Fail.
    I am lucky enough to get both newbies, plus advanced.
    Right now, I am the only full-time (read "daytime")instructor in the program.
    (Yes, I teach nights, too.)
    We employ adjunct (big word for part-time) instructors, for more than 70% of the contact hours.
    It makes it pretty rough sometimes, but I am blessed with a particularly talented group of instructors, but students get what's "left over" after their regular work week somewhere else. There are pros & cons with adjunct faculty.

I just found out a new position has been approved, so maybe I will move to the advanced classes & let the new instructor teach the kiddies manners & work ethics.

Anybody interested?

(Yes Boss, I know I am supposed to pay money for employment ads. This really isn't one, yet. I will try and get somebody to write a check, so I can actually advertise.)

bawl2
    Formerly when I was the HVAC Department Head for a post secondary HVAC program we used a number of different approaches.
    Timed tests first thing in AM
    ( Hour test, come in late 20 min. you only had 40)
    Minus 2 points for every 5 minutes late for your daily grade
    AM hammer routine on lecture from day before, miss it and you had missed important information. Student responsibility to get information from other students.
    Make weekly report card look like a pay check. Total weekly payment of 100.00 (minus for each tardy, absent etc!)

Be creative, work ethics start in the classroom. The more that can be instilled in class the better the technician they will become.

Almost forgot, student is absent, Dept. Head or front office called to see what was wrong! Surprising what that tactic will do!!

Originally posted by old educator
    bawl2 (I wasn't bawling, yet. )

Student responsibility to get information from other students.

I do that already, but I am afraid they don't.
    Make weekly report card look like a pay check. Total weekly payment of 100.00 (minus for each tardy, absent etc!)
    I really, really like the paycheck idea.
    I might have to adjust it for inflation...
    Might even fine them for other infractions.

They do understand dollars.

Once I gave a kid a dollar, after tearing it into pieces to teach fractions.
    I had the entire classes' undivided attention.
    I just wish it wasn't illegal.
    (Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code)

Thanks for the help.
    Your efforts to educate are STILL appreciated.

Originally posted by bwal2
    I have decided to lock the door & keep the late ones out. What do you think?
    bwal2,

I've locked the doors a few times - especially after stating that exams would start immediately after breaks. But, the administrators frown on keeping students out of the classroom.

As an instructor, you'll find that these experiences will sharpen you - make you better - if you a have a "passion" for teaching. Or, it will discourage you if it is just a job.

There are all sorts of resources to learn about learning styles, the Gen-Xers (or what ever they're called now), instructional styles and such. The more you know about students and your own teaching style, the more competent you'll be in handling these kinds of situations.

I'm currently studying the Center On Education and Training for Employment's Professional Teacher Education Module "Assist Students in Developing Self-Discipline."
    These modules are well done with Information Sheets and
    Activities that will help an instructor develop skills.

I like the "firm, fair, and consistent" approach mentioned
    previously.

Blessings,
    Prof. Koldenhott
    HVAC Instructor

"Those that CAN...teach...
    PASSIONATELY!"

Thanks Professor.

I will look into it.

Koldenhott, what a great name...

Are you at Eastfield?

I'm in Tyler.

I did "forget" to unlock the doors, once or twice.
    Now they stand outside the door, if it is not left wide open.
    They don't even try the knob.
    It's only a couple of students, and they are the weak ones.

Would it be legal to hook up a VanDeGraff generator to the doorknob?
    Might help wake up the morning class.

Gen X

I've heard it has now changed to Gen Why, or maybe it was Gen Whine?

Noel

Re: Gen X

Originally posted by Noel Murdough
    I've heard it has now changed to Gen Why, or maybe it was Gen Whine?

Noel
    I've actually got a pretty sharp bunch of guys this semester.
    It's just the few that require more attention for "stupid stuff" that cause headaches.

I once had a co-worker that called in withe the most outlandish excuses, that his supervisor started calling it "Called-in-stoopid", instead of "called-in-sick".
    I have a little of that going on, but most are gonna make employees someday.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast