Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Students.
    They pay money to be here.
    They are adults, barely.
    I always start on time.
    They know it.
    Lately, a few have started dragging in a few minutes late.

I have decided to lock the door & keep the late ones out.

What do you think?

What you are able to do will depend a great deal on how much power and control the administration allows you to have and how well they back you when the students complain to the administration.

I find that when I continually jump on and keep control of the little things the students tend not to challenge me on the bigger things. Classroom discipline is very important. If you don't maintain constant control you will never be productive at delivering quality information.

With over 20 years of classroom experience I have been in lots of different disciplinary situtations. You win some and lose some and hopefully learn from the losses so the next time you face a similar problem you do the best thing.

Many people think teaching is an easy job. Few have any idea of what all we have to contend with while attempting to provide quality instruction.

Norm

Whatever you do the students must know the rules and you need to make them clear. You need to have a firm grasp of what you are going to do when the rules are broken well in advance.

Then you need to to Firm, Fair and Consistant. No matter who breaks the rules. Even if it is your most prized student. All others are watching you. And they are watching carefully.

You can be a nice guy and be firm at the same time. The students just need to know the rules and that you are serious. Once everybody knows where you stand and that you are serious you can all learn and enjoy yourselves. But don't drop your guard. Someone will test you every so often.

bwal2:
    They are adults, barely.

From a 49 yr old student. I just left a school for a community college. The Hvac program at the old school was taught by a nice man with 50 yrs in the busniess. however he was not a teacher. He had no control over any of the students in the class, each day by 2:30 all but three of us would leave...Out of 30 people there were three that really wanted to learn. Myself, I did all I could to make the best of a bad program and learn as much as I could, but thats beause I want to learn this busniess

There were students that came in once a week to sign the roll sheet showing they were there all week.

One guy was actually caught stealing tools and equipment from the class. He was arrested and put in jail for the crime , and now that he is released--the instructor allowed the guy to return.

Adults , Hardly. you dont need those kind of disruptions in class

Thanks for the reply, men.
    I do have pretty good rapport with these younguns, but they certainly have a different idea of work ethics.

They know the rules, but it is absolutely frustrating sometimes.

"Did I miss anything important?", they ask.

"-You'd be surprised.", says I.(roll eyes)

Administration caves to the squeaky wheel, but usually will back me up.

This morning, I did not unlock the front door, but opened it from the inside for each student. (I forgot?)

Each one had to write their in/out times on the board. (while I watched)

Seemed to make an impression, of sorts.

Anyway, thanks for the kind words.

My first HVAC teaching position was at a high school. That was many years ago. It was a constant battle with 16 to 18 year olds.

Then I moved on and taught college where my students were in the 19 to 40 year old range with a few even older yet. There were far fewer discipline problems at the college. Every year I learned more about classroom control.

One key solution is to keep them busy all the time with both written and lab assignments. Keep them challenged with new material to learn and lots of quizzes and exams. A solid and well developed curriculum is essential. Have extra assignments for those who are ahead of the rest. Don't allow for any "spare" time.

Norm

I will tell you what my wife does, she teaches in a public school, if they are late and not in their seat when the bell rings, they lose points, no excuses, nothing.
    If they are not in the room, down to the office they go for a hall pass and to explain it. She is tough, no BS, in a about a week, they are all on time & in their seats.
    It only works if you stick to your guns, and then it works well.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Originally posted by Diceman
    I will tell you what my wife does, she teaches in a public school, if they are late and not in their seat when the bell rings, they lose points, no excuses, nothing.
    If they are not in the room, down to the office they go for a hall pass and to explain it. She is tough, no BS, in a about a week, they are all on time & in their seats.

What I want to know Dice is what she does to keep you in line or has she given up on you?

Another thing bwal, don't think you are going to save them all. I took a college physics class where we started out with over 60 people and ended up with less than 20. I thought of quitting myself every day but hung in there anyway. Later I talked with the instructor and he told me he was determining who had what it took to hang in there.

Norm

I understand.
    Most teenagers just are not ready to learn.

I have two populations, and the difference is night and day.
    My day students are, for the most part, teenagers.
    Night students are much more mature, even if some are younger.

It is an absolute joy & honor to teach adults at night.
    Sometimes a pain to teach days.

Kids.
    Hats on sideways, baggy pants, jewelry, etc...
    Bad thing is, I really like these kids. Most will make acceptable employees, eventually.

Same subject, same worksheets, same lecture, same lab, same teacher different students.
    Outcomes are not even close.

I'm thinking about creating some sort of "gap" program that targets a remedial group.

Intro to Intro, or some such.

Anyway,
    Thanks again, Norm.

Originally posted by Diceman
    I think I will lock the door for a few sessions.
    Maybe I try a little too hard to help the little darlin's.

Tough love.

Originally posted by NormChris
    [

What I want to know Dice is what she does to keep you in line or has she given up on you?

[/B]
    She gave up years ago.....
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

bwal2
    Ya know , its much easier to make an excuse for being late to class than it is to get outof bed at times

During the time I was in my electricity classes this past summer, i realised why there were so many people in my neighborhood out committing crimes every day, for most of them it is much easier to go out and rob someone or steal something than it is to go to school and actually learn something.

The class i am in now is so much different than before. Most of the students are recieving pell or some other grant so they hold them to two days out or 3 late and they loose the grant money for that semester, but most are there to learn and now the classes are interesting

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast