Thread: 1st A coil cleaning

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes
    I am working on Rheem split units which have A coils, they have access to one side of coil but the other side has no access . Is the only way to complete this is to cut my own access ? These have been installed about 8 yrs and out of the 23 I need to clean, 0 have the opposite side cut for access to the other side of the A . If this is the way to do it ,what would be the best way to gain entry to the other side ?

Post Likes

Hmm

How can we tell you that ?

We aren't there.
    We don't know how this unit is installed.
    You gave us no info on anything, so cut away.
    Do what you can.
    If you try to fail, and succeed.
    Which have you done ?

Post Likes
    The best way to clean it is pull it out and spray it off with garden hose and good coil cleaner. This is the only way I clean a coil.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Post Likes
    dittoe.....

Post Likes
    This sounds like a job that was bid out or is some part of some type of maintenance agreement, I would do two things here one is find out what the salesman told the customer you were going to do, what were the exact words and how did you come to a point that you have 23 of these to do. Contracts can be vague make the vague part work for you. Cleaning a coil can be defined in several ways many of which do not include removing or altering fabricated sheet metal to gain access for routine maintenance. Know what is expected of you from the customer,

Post Likes
    I work for a school district and these units were in place prior to the school taking the building and then doing a remodel ,(of the 23, I have seen if one is that way so are ther rest,atleast for my situation)which didn't include adjusting placement of the units . I have some classrooms with as many as 3 handlers in one room and t-stats in other rooms.I am noticing condensate appearing at bottom of units opposite side of access panel. With less than a year on lease and things having to be submitted for budget approval and the time frame involved , I had hoped to repair these for as little as possible and as quick as possible. I will look again at time/cost to R/R coils . I will try to include more details on any further posts, I have 154 units(2t-20t) to maintain and only 4 months out of AC school.

Post Likes
    Rheem had poorly designed filter on the bottom of some of their AH,, with a little flap door for access. But the filter cage did not securely hold the filter edge, and most I have seen were hog hair with even less chance of working.
    Some A, Some slant. But the bottom line is, a dirt impacted coil has to be removed to be cleaned properly. In many cases it can be removed and cleaned quicker than trying to half clean it in the unit. Don’t forget to check the squirrel cage too. It is usually as dirty at the coil.

Jax

Post Likes
    My boss is totally against pulling the coil out of these units. So I cut an Access door and the second portion of the A is so bad you can't even see the fins, the squirrel cage has such a dirt built up ,there is no scoop left on it. I thank all who replied

Post Likes
    You are working for a school district that has leased a building and the lease is ending within a year or so. I think a decision to have this amount of work done is going to be up to the people that handle the lease and all you need to do is submit the problem with the cost of the solution the solution should include a sheet metal contractor coming in and cutiing access panels so this maintenance can be done on some type of regular schedule, and let me give you a little advice if you are only four months out of school you are starting to go down a long lonely road when you start assuming that the repair needed and condition of one unit, automatically will apply to all just because they are in the same building. Also pay your boss a little respect he probably knows a little more than you, it doesn't benefit you to make your boss look stupid you should try to make him look like he was a genuis for hiring you even if he doesn't know ship.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in