+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 404a or R134???

Post Likes
    Replacing a defective hermetic compressor that is noisy and not pumping. The refrigerant that was used was Hot Shot. The oil in the new compressor is Polyester and I want to use R404 or R134 for proper oil return. The unit is Medium cool and the thermestat is usually set at about 38 degrees.
    The present compressor CS20K6E TF5-270 was not a burnout, just defective valves and not pumping at all. Both suction and discharge same pressure, The unit is 3 phase. Will change both suction and liquid filter driers and blow lines out with nitrogen.

Post Likes

Smile 404A or 134A

What was the original refrigerant used in the system (before Hot-Shot) go with that. Flush out the system,then use suction and liquid line driers. Also when charging it is now reccomended to charge liquid through a drier after evacuating to 500 microns(no lower compressor oil boils at 200 microns).
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Post Likes

Re: 404A or 134A

Originally posted by icehouse
    compressor oil boils at 200 microns).
    Where is this info from?

Post Likes
    Don't know what the previous refrigerant was. The present compressor has a serial number of 95K68705H. Looks like copeland recommend R-404a.

Post Likes
    I think you need to call Copeland to make sure you have the correct compressor. 134a and 404a are for different applications, and run different pressures. If the refrigerant was Hot Shot, then it was probably R12, so 134a is probably what you want. You need to check that the evaporator and condenser is properly sized if you're changeing to 404a, and also change the TXV.

Post Likes
    The new compressor comes with polyester oil. and it is a medium temperature compressor. I must use a refrigerant that will mix properly with polyester. This leaves R507, R22, R134a, R404a.

Post Likes
    I understand that, but each compressor is rated for different applications such as "medium temp 134a," "low temp 134a" and "low temp 404a." Just because the refrigerant is compatible with the oil, doesn't mean that it will act correctly in the application.

Basically, 134a is a replacement for R12, and 404a is a replacement for 502. You wouldn't put R12 into a 502 system, as it wouldn't work. In the same respect, 134a would not work properly in a 404a system.

You said that it was a medium temperature compressor. It's not often that you see 404a used in a medium temperature application, and since you said that the old unit had Hot Shot in it, I'd assume that you need 134a.

I hope I'm clear. It was hard for me to put my thoughts into words.

Post Likes
    I downloaded the datasheet from copeland and it is rated as HFC, R404-A, 60 Hz, 3 - phase, 200-230 V, Extended Medium Temp. What is the difference between Medium Temp. and Extended Medium Temp.?

[Edited by sgosine577 on 02-16-2005 at 08:36 AM]

Post Likes

404A or 134A

Extended means it will cover a greater btu rating. Tecumseh calls theirs the plus line ie 1/3+ 1/4 + for a little more btu rating. If it had "Hot-Shot" in it, then the previous mechanic did not do his home work like you did. Then you must flush the system, remove the expansion valve or if a capillary tube system back flush it.

Post Likes
    This compressor is rated as a; High temp R-134a, A Medium temp R-22, A Extended medium R-404 / R-507.

What's this about no less than 200 microns????

Oil doesn't boil in any micron range.
    Be Careful, The Toes You Step On Today May Be Conected To The A$$ You Have To Kiss Tomorrow.

Post Likes
    They are not bad gases. Get used to them, I don't see them leaving very soon.

All change is not bad.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I would go with 404.......it works very well.
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes

Hold your horses now, guys.........

As I read this thread, it has yet to be established what refrigerant this system was originally set up for. (We all know it wasn't built for Hot-Shot).

There's no nameplate info given or TXV identifiers noted anywhere. We don't even know if this compressor is a proper replacement for the job.

It was mentioned that this CS20K6E is multi-rated for R134A HT, R22 MT and R404A EMT (Extended MT). The original post says this is a cooler, so if you check capacities at +20ºF SST/ 120ºF SDT for each of these refrigerants we find that R22 and R404A are about equal at 20,000 Btuh and R134A comes in at around 12,000 Btuh. That's a big difference.

We need a lot more info on this system before we start recommending what refrigerant to be putting in it.

Sgosine557.....How about some info on the TXV, the evaporator coil or the original condensing unit dataplate?

Post Likes

Re: Re: 404A or 134A

Originally posted by jerrycoolsaz
    Originally posted by icehouse
    compressor oil boils at 200 microns).
    Where is this info from?
    I'll ask again.

Post Likes

Re : Compressor oil boils at 200 microns

From Bill Schaffer on the Lennox Trainning video on system evacuation. This was the first time I ever heard of it myself.

Post Likes
    Dave Lennox must be rolling over (and laughing) in his grave.
    Be Careful, The Toes You Step On Today May Be Conected To The A$$ You Have To Kiss Tomorrow.

Post Likes

Talking 404a or134???

oops ive been boiling the heck out of my oil,you can use 404a in med temp.applications
    if at first you dont succeed,then skydiving is not for you

Post Likes
    I regularly work on medium temp racks that run 404A. Tyler and Hussmann both use 404A in some med. temp racks. Just two examples.

As was previously said in general R-12 has been replaced by 134A and R-502 by 404A. Didn't see a mention of 409A which is considered to be a drop in replacement for R-12. No TXV or cap change req'd. And compatible with the oil used in R-12 systems. Isn't HotShot 409A?

Post Likes

Red face Re Hot Shot

409A and Hot Shot(414B) are two different Refrigerants thank you

Post Likes

Confused

Not that this statement is going to help out this conversation, but I have info on "hotshot" that says that when you charge a system up your not suppost to "clear" the siteglass. go figure..that really doesn't make sense to me at all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in