Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie From CT

Hybrid View

Cool

Hello..
    I'm just getting ready to start Tech school in CT and start my career. Any helpful hints or advise would be great.
    Thanks

Get ready! Your about to get it.

Best wishes to you.

How did you choose your career path, if I might ask. It's great to see new blood coming into the trade.

Noel

Stick with it and don't buy cheap tools.

Do you own a goat by any chance??

Walk out in front of a bus and get it over with. Try to live so you can collect large sums of cash from the port authority.
    Next question.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Dont take any wooden nickles

having a good attitude will get you far. What school?

Don't expect to get it all sitting in a classroom.
    Books are portable for a reason.
    If you really want to understand, be sure you do homework, even if it is not assigned.
    Read ahead a little.
    Take notes.
    Raise your hand & ask questions.
    Answer questions, when asked.
    If you don't know, say "I don't know."
    Bring your tools to class.(duh!)
    If you had to take any kind of an entrance exam, and didn't do well in some area, be certain you get up to speed on those skills.(math, reading, writing, etc..)
    Electricity IS math.
    Going into a technical area is NOT a way to avoid the need to know basics.

Just my $.02 worth.

Noel
    I chose the field because I like problem solving and working with my hands under pressure. I'm currently a Paramedic, but theres not much advancement or even a retirement. I also have a background as a Fire Marshal.
    Hydronicsman
    I'm planning on attending New England Tech. Have you had experiences with the school?

When you graduate, don't leave school thinking you're God's gift to the HVAC trade. Most of us here have already forgotten more than you know. You'll still know nothing after spending all that money. Figure out what you think you're worth after graduating and divide by 2. That's closer to reality

Graduating gives you a license to learn. Nothing else. Ask lots of questions from co-workers and the guys from other companies buying parts at the supply house.

The school is just to get the basics... I'd much rather work in the field and learn from others and make mistakes and learn from there.

If you are going to school in New England then repeat after me.-------"GO PATRIOTS!!!" and you'll get along fine!

Good answer

I started (after USCG) at the bottom and did piping and service in 1980. I moved around a bit and stayed with it, found a favorite part of the biz (low pressure steam heating) and have been very satisfied at every step of the way.

Lot's of hours, but it makes me happy.

I'm doing service work, mostly over the phone, for a boiler, baseboard, radiant, and (formerly) PTAC unit, manufacturer.

There doesn't seem to be a top limit in this business. Even without knowing where I want to be when I finish, it's still fun.

I have a friend in a different state that I met as a contractor on-line, that I respect very much, that owns his self started company, that thought he was 3 years from retiring. Just 3 or 4 guys working for him, including the heir apparent, his son. He bought a place in Enosburg, and is planning his retirement.

I recommended him to IBR to be an instructor. He accepted.

Next month, he is going to Beijing to speak about hydronic heating (real time interpreter) representing a different baseboard company and a group of manufacturers, and bringing his wife, and having money left over afterwards from the gig. He's pretty psyched(sp?) about it.

There are plenty of surprises in this industry. Aim high.

It's wide open, too. There's room to grow.

Noel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast