Thread: 2 ton dual stage vs 2.5 ton single stage?

Post Likes

Confused 2 ton dual stage vs 2.5 ton single stage?

Hello everyone. I am currently looking to install a brand new heat pump system. My square footage on in my attached townhouse is roughly 1100 above grade and 30 yrs old with mediocre insulation (original doors and sliding glass door) and i am currently running a 2.5 ton 10 seer system. My neighbors are running a 2 ton system as well as my gf and all claim to have quiet systems and they are comfortable. My unit is very loud and the air seems to be blasting out of my vents which can be loud and annoying. My current unit also does not seem to be very efficient.

I am currently torn between an Amana ASZ14 2.5 ton 15 seer single stage system with a variable handler and a Frigidaire 16 seer 2 ton dual stage stage system. The contractor looking to install the 16 seer says the 2 ton dual stage is plenty while the person wanting to install the Amana says that the 2.5 is good with the variable handler, especially when temperatures become extremely cold, which is why it was upped to a 2.5 ton from a 2 ton. I am torn between the two systems and am not sure which way to go. Should i consider stepping up to the 2 stage dual stage system? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by lfcfan13; 12-14-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: mispelled

Post Likes

Edit

I need to correct the last question i put in; should i upgrade to the 3 ton dual stage system, go for the 2.5 ton single stage system, or go for the 2 ton dual stage system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcfan13 View Post
    I need to correct the last question i put in; should i upgrade to the 3 ton dual stage system, go for the 2.5 ton single stage system, or go for the 2 ton dual stage system.
    That depends on the heat loss (for heating) and the heat gain (for cooling) of your house, and which one you are sizing it for.

Upsizing to 3 ton is not an "upgrade" if it's oversized for your house.

Post Likes

Upgrade

Gary, thanks for the reply. I am a newbie and I don't know about heat loss and heat gain. My main concern is being that the 2 ton system is a dual stage running at about 68% will that be better than the 2.5 ton single stage running at full capacity with a variable speed handler. In cold climate, what is better, will it cycle on and off too much? As i mentioned before, i think there is a significant heat loss in my house due to poor insulation and the age of my windows and sliding glass door.

I guess the bottom line is, like i said, which is the better way to go?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lfcfan13 View Post
    Gary, thanks for the reply. I am a newbie and I don't know about heat loss and heat gain. My main concern is being that the 2 ton system is a dual stage running at about 68% will that be better than the 2.5 ton single stage running at full capacity with a variable speed handler. In cold climate, what is better, will it cycle on and off too much? As i mentioned before, i think there is a significant heat loss in my house due to poor insulation and the age of my windows and sliding glass door.

I guess the bottom line is, like i said, which is the better way to go?
    Nobody can answer that without first knowing how much heating and cooling your house needs. The best way to get this is with a software calculation based on Manual J. If you absolutely can't get that, you at least need to have an accurate idea of how your current system performs on the coldest and hottest days.

In general, properly-sized 2-stage units give the best comfort. An oversized 2-stage unit won't perform properly and won't provide good comfort at all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in