Thread: Filter Static

Hybrid View

Hmm

Something for Bryant/Carrier guys to ponder and comment on.

My Bryant 80% variable, 110k btu with Evolution control does the blower check daily at 1 p.m. Here's what I observed the other day:

After the blower check, the % filter used was at 20. The next day, the % filter used was at 90%. The next day, the % filter used was back at 0%. No one reset the % used counter.

Some days it will show 20% for a number of days and then suddenly display a dirty filter message.

No one changed the filter. Matter of fact, nothing changed that I am aware of other than the reading. Filter is an Aprilaire 2400 about six months old and hardly dirty by looking at it.

This is not a one time occurance but rather, it happens quite often.

Anyone know why the % used reading is going from 90% back to 0%?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Have a lot of the heat pump Infinities installed,haven't heard of a problem,but many customers may not notice as you have.

Garry,

Mine is erratic too. Day to day, it will show 20%, 40%, 30%, 50%, 20%. and so on. I have noticed that if the fan is on low and furnace is not on (no call for heat), at 1 PM you can hear the blower ramp up for about 15 seconds when the Infinity Stat takes it's reading. But if the furnace is on (call for heat) I think the static reading is different than it would be if there is no call for heat.

I believe static pressure increases if the burners are on. This must have something to do with these erratic readings.

Its another bell that doesn't work is unreliable will always be and should be disconnected or ignored, it works a lot like the low tire gage on my car it tells me my right front tire pressure is low even if I put 60 pounds in it ( 18 pounds over the recommended PSI ) then it goes out for awhile after I let the excess air out then it will come back on in a few days ( its stupid I tried to bust the bulb out of the dash but found out it was an LED)finally I took it in and found out they had problem eith them but did not recall the car for it and they fixed it for free then it came back a month later.

Fat Eddy: My tech is with you. Once he does the "real" static check, he might be able to back his thoughts up with data. He can't wait to rub it in. He really can't believe the Evo is telling the truth. Then again, I'm really hoping the Evo static reading is very close to his gauge readings...then at least we can fix what's wrong and I can rub it in.

If it turns out the Evo is full of beans, it'll be interesting to see what Bryant has to say about it, too.

IF ,there's something wrong with the Infinity/Evolution,I'll bet it will be fixed in short order.

With the number that have been installed,I doubt there is a problem ,in all controls,we would have heard of it by now.

Not saying there's no problem with yours,just think it is an isolated problem.

garryb,
    Did they solve the high static issues with your system??

[Edited by dash on 02-17-2005 at 11:21 AM]

Dash: No. But then again my high static data is all from the Evo control. We never have plugged a manometer into the ducting. The timing has a lot to do with my tech being a personal friend and also with this winter being cold. I have heat, lots of people didn't. That kept moving me to the bottom of the priority list. He did do a temp rise check and things were bang on right where they should be per nameplate data. This is another reason why he's reluctant to believe the Evo control. If there was no air flow, things would be cooking...and they aren't...not even close.

Once he comes over with the manometer, that will clinch things one way or the other.

I will advise the results. Especially if there is a problem with the control as we have already changed it out in the last month to no avail.

We test static on every install and have found the "readout" for the infinity Control to be very accurate,so I would expect yours to be accurate as well.

You can have high static that effects the filter alert,but still delivers the required amount of air,for proper heat rise.

Not sure how,but the "high" static may be causing the readings you are seeing.

Please do post the results.

If its a VS blower and on marginal duct, the blower can do some funny things. If the thermostat displaces CFM or static, check it when the filter % changes to see if it has moved. If its on a zone system the static changes with the damper movement. Is this a zoned system?

Dash is the CFM, or static actual read (are there actual petot's installed or is is it feedback from the ECM module (torque converted)?

Originally posted by docholiday
    If its a VS blower and on marginal duct, the blower can do some funny things. If the thermostat displaces CFM or static, check it when the filter % changes to see if it has moved. If its on a zone system the static changes with the damper movement. Is this a zoned system?

Dash is the CFM, or static actual read (are there actual petot's installed or is is it feedback from the ECM module (torque converted)?

Feed back for the motor/control.I think it's from the rpm and torque.

It also reads out the total cfms ,from the information .

Very handy for the service tech and customers like to "play" with it.