Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have a opportunity

I have been a tech for over 9 years (residential).

I recently got promoted to "territory service leader"...kind of like "senoir tech" ( i am 1 of 2 out of 12-13 guys).

For the last 6 months I have been doing some sales/design work...first my own calls(service calls that I turned into sales calls)....then recently I started doing cold calls(sales calls scheduled thru the office)...

I am having a blast.....and my manager has given me the option to gradually move into sales full time.

My only concern is a constant paycheck....As a tech I work as much as I would like or more ..pretty much year round...As sales I don't know how I would do.

The other thing I can see is me being on full commission and being asked to run some trouble service calls..

anybody else make this tranaction??

thanks
    ed

I am having a blast.....and my manager has given me the option to gradually move into sales full time.

I would just do it.

Not even close to your situation, but someday hopefully I will be.

I say if you enjoy it, try it, life's too short to be stuck doing work you hate.... or in your situation just like vs love. Whats the worst? Your boss sounds cool and if sales wasn't for you, I'm sure you'd have a position doing what you're doing now.

Ed, most salesmen work on a guaranteed minimum as part of their salary. Generally it is no less than 10% of their wages plus commission. In you case, since you have such a strong technicial background it should be more like 25-30% plus commission.

Dale Carneige offers a very comprehensive Sales Course. After I took this course my sales went up by 35% the first year. Before taking this course I spent a lot of my time figuring jobs but many times they would not buy the jobs that I figured. The only difference is I learned how to sell the jobs I figured.

You do want people to buy the jobs that you figured for them don't you?

yes benncool

I guess i am not familiar with the Dale Carnagie.

I am scheduled to take the Trane ACT sales BOOT CAMP in april. That sounds like it will be intense.

Thanks Guys

you have taken away some of my "hesitation"!!

"Ed, most salesmen work on a guaranteed minimum as part of their salary. Generally it is no less than 10% of their wages plus commission. In you case, since you have such a strong technicial background it should be more like 25-30% plus commission. "

Benncool ... could you elaborate on this
    You are saying if I make $40000 yearly that I should get a base of atleast $4000 before commission??

Ed

Ed, I don't believe there is any hard and fast rule for % base vs. total commission. Your skills will obviously give you an advantage over other sales reps who may not have worked in the field. You will better serve your customer's needs and as this becomes more and more apparent, your opportunities will increase. Sales is a fantastic field. Yes, if on straight commission, which I have always been, you get paid on results. If your company maintains a high profile, has, AND IMPLEMENTS an aggressive marketing program, and provides a quality product, quality workmanship, quality service, and provides YOU the support mechanism you need as a sales rep, you will succeed. And, your income will only be limited by your effort! At one time I was set up on a structure that an established percentage of gross sale price was my commission. I took whatever draw each week I wanted as long as I "had it in the bank." By taking a regular "salary" from my reserve each week, and staying aggressive, I had a nice "bonus" of earned commission at the end of each year. Out of a sales department with varied backgrounds we each averaged $50 - 70k annual gross.
    Keep your service skills as sharp as possible without detracting from your sales efforts and you will always have something "to fall back on." Also, just a word of advice, don't let a "sales call" turn into a service call because of your natural tendencies. Interpersonal skills including good communication skills are a must, and I would guess with your service background you have those. AND, last but not least, don't let yourself turn into a hybrid, where your owner still puts you on the spot to run service, UNLESS you want to wear both hats. Then your pay structure will also be somewhat hybrid.

Thumbs up "The Man"

Don't worry about it , you will make more money in sales than you did service.

I have serviced and sold equipment for the past7-8years.
    I still go do service but the $$$$$$$$$$$$ that I make in sales are alot more.

Right now I am not making to much as unemployed, but I haven't given up YET..

There are a number of really good teacher's of sales.

The Best I ever heard was John A. Cortwright
    C.E.O. Cortwright & Associates
    214-458-7377

"Outsell Everyone"

irishmist

You hit the nail on the head!!

Right now If ANY "crisis" develops I am the one that is sent out to handle it (ie. multiple call backs, irate customers). It is going to be a hard for the company to transitions me from service to sales. In my opinion from the sales I have experienced.. I will need to do one or the other full time. (ex. sales customer calling w/ questions while I am trying to service a plugged boiler OR doing sales calls after the plugged boiler)

I put alot of faith in our service manager and I feel he can guide me and the company into making the transition.

thnaks for all the support!!

ed

The Trane Sales boot camp should fill the bill for your training. It doesn't have to be a Dale Carneige Coruse.

There is a set procedure for selling anything. This procedure has to be learned. You will see. Then when you go out and practice that procedure and see it actually works it will amaze you.

Tech vs Salesman .....I thought you were having a celebrity death match up in here...

Just do it...if you don't make the big $$$$... you already have your skills to fall back on.

Just don't do it for SEARS
    thehumid1-------I live in NJ, a state where it's free to come in but you have to pay to leave!

rubobornot Guest
    Just remember, once you go over to the dark side you can't ever get all the way back.

rubobornot

rubobornot

What does that mean?? Even if I go back to be a tech I still will be a salesman??

ed
    ps what does your name stand for??

I took this opportunity about 3 years ago, I was encouraged by our veteran sales manager who was my mentor. Unfortunately he retired shortly after I made the switch, my skills were compared to those of career salespoeple with 20+ years of experience, I didn't stand a chance, I had the tech skills and the customer service skills... but, I'm too laid back and not cut-throat or competitive. Moving into sales was a big mistake for me, be sure you have the drive and know what you must give up in order to be successful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast