DIY entertainment
    Hi, I was putting up a picture on the wall, and drilled a pinhole into the insulated copper pipe running from the outside unit to the attic.

I got someone in to repair it and he told me it would be $. I think he is retarded. He wanted to cut the entire pipe and weld (not solder, weld) in an entire new section.

The hole in the pipe is probably about 1/4 mm. Less than a pinhole. I could stop the gas coming out with my thumb.

I am thinking I can get a coupler, cut in in half, smear it with epoxy, put it over the hole and put 4 hoseclamps on it. right now I have a piece of duct tape over it and it holds the gas in (remember - small hole).

Anyone have a better suggestion? What is the proper way to repair a hole in the pipe without soldering

The Repair DIY style

Well here is what I did about my pinhole in my air conditioner pipe.I first drained most of the freon from the system, but not all. I wanted to make sure the system was still under pressure, so that I could make sure in one month if it was still under pressure (ie - it didnt leak).Then the trick was to figure out how to repair a hole while the system was under pressure.So I did this. First I made a small amount of epoxy, and put it on the hole, which of coarse it bubbled around. Then in a flash, I put some duct tape over that, then used a C clamp to hold the duct tape down over the hole and stop if from leaking.In about 15 minutes, I removed the C clamp and took off the duct tape. The epoxy had set, and the hole had a temporary seal.I could then work on stage 2, where I made a complete patch, without worrying about the pipe spurting out.I cut a copper sleeve / joiner in half, so that I had a cup to cover the entire area. I smeared more epoxy over the cup, and the pipe, then put it on with 4 hose clamps, and tightend it up. It's about 1/2 inch of epoxy from the edge of the copper cup to the hole, so if it leaks, it will have to get through 1/2 inch of epoxy.As I write this, the second epoxy patch has now set, and I think it will be fine. The hose clamps are epoxyed in with the entire thing, so there's no turning back now.I think the trick was getting the first temporary repair on, before doing the second complete epoxy set. This prevented any bubbling, yet still allows me to test the pressure before calling someone to fill it up.Anyway,

[Edited by BC1 on 02-14-2005 at 11:49 AM]

I wouldn't repair the sheetrock yet. shoulda welded it so not to worry about it again. pay now or pay later. it will eventually leak. read your own signature.

If you got that from a DIY site....please post a link

Edit: Found it

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=193749

[Edited by swampfox on 02-14-2005 at 08:24 AM]

That guy was a classic boob for sure.

I have returned.......I was at that site long ago....and then something happened......
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

I go there once in awile to be amazed (reminded) that some people really are as stupid as they sound.

This guy would have filled that hole -----did fill that hole--- with anything toavoid a service call because "he knew better" and then someone else agreed with him and told him he didnt need to go through the expense of having it repaired----his idea would be just fine.

Have you ever wondered how much money it costs people in the long run to save a buck

sotexkoolbreeze : I did not make the repair, someone at a do it yourself site first posted the question about the cost of the repair and suggested using epoxy

then he responded to his own thread boasting about how he fixed it

I may be a student , but I am not a stupid student

I think I should go to "do it youself" once in a while to help them out

Anyone else think we should help these poor people out.I'd like some more standard answers to cut down on the response time

"super glue works well for that"
    "the bigger the heater the better"
    "yep freezon does go bad after a while you need to change it like the air in your tires"
    " yep most hvac guys are retarded"
    " it's not rocket science"

http://forum.doityourself.com/forumd...sprune=-1&f=84

OMG they have a bloopers and projects gone bad section over there.

you cant find entertainment anywhere like this

From the bloopers board

I used the trunk of an 89 Jetta five years ago as a sawhorse. Big mistake. The board started to slip as I was moving back the guard on a circular saw. My finger slipped into the area of the blade. Cut down to the bone. After 4 months of being damaged, the finger pad grew back without a fingerprint. The moral is, if you are using power saws on wood, make sure the surface you are using for the wood is level.

they send really nice christmas gifts to their moderators though !!

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King! semper fi

Thumbs up Hey pjs!

Be glad to have you over there helping us out.
    I usually jump on those posts but missed that one.

Say, if you want to help us, I could return the favor and send those types of questions over here.

And ya, the gifts are good!

Someone has been watching to much DIY tv>