Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brands

Re: Brands

Originally posted by mr big
    I recommend Trane & Carrier to all people; anything else is a step down!
    Nevermind.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

NOT TRUE??

example from just a week ago
    York brand--Environmental systems
    12 years old
    Model No. P-HBD12N05701A
    Burner Part No. 026-28965-000 or 026-30388-000
    both are oem #'s just one is tin and other is aluminized tin

Reply from York International when contacted after my supplyers could not get.
    "Those parts are obsolete thru our source. You can try an obsolete parts house call La Portes Parts Distributing. They only accept fax requests 843-332-0198 include your phone # on the fax and they will return your call. Thank
    you"

Now from Yorks web sight they claim the average life of a furnace is 20 to 25 years and yes if not in a damp or wet environment before the heat chamber or fire box fails to warrent a new furnace. No reason to stop supplying KEY parts on any main replaceable part in the burner or controls till at least 80% of the usefull life of the unit..

Question-- Would you buy a new car knowing you could not get a replacement alternator or a spark plug 5 years later????

new system getting installed

I'm getting a Carrier 58MVP080-14 2 stage variable speed 92% with CD5AXA036 Coil w/Humidifier and 38TRA036 12 SEER installed. Thanks for your advice. I'm confident now this is a great choice for me and I'm pretty happy with the contractor.
    Is this a basic "Infinity system"? I think this system does not tell me when to change the air filter. Or does it?
    Does this system also include these great "Infinity controls" or is that a separate purchase or a higher end system?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Could be installed with or without the infinity control.The outdoor unit could have been a two speed,38TDB036.

I was advised against the 2 speed outdoor unit because I was told the low speed would not be as even at cooling my split level as the single speed. I didn't see any advantage of it, only disadvantage.
    I'm not sure what use the control would be to me, but I wouldn't mind the money if I knew it was going to make us more satisfied with the new sysetm

Go ahead and spring for the Infinity control, you won't regret it. (I say that having bought one in the last year myself.) It's not even that much extra if you're already getting an Infinity furnace, and you are.

Tinker toys,
    Some models are like that with york, but not all, and its hard to tell which model they obsolete parts for and didn't.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Some models are like that with york, but not all, and its hard to tell which model they obsolete parts for and didn't.

Are you telling me that even though you know York does this in a short time frame you will sell and recommend their stuff?
    Do you have a conscience? Or is this ok in your book because you get to sell a new unit in 10 years not 20-25 years?

Originally posted by tinker toys

Are you telling me that even though you know York does this in a short time frame you will sell and recommend their stuff?
    Do you have a conscience? Or is this ok in your book because you get to sell a new unit in 10 years not 20-25 years?
    York isn't the only one to have done this, I've called about obsolete parts for other brands also.(yes they were less then 20 years old)

Name a brand that didn't develope and sell a lemon.
    R and D doesn't catch every design flaw, and they obsolete the unit if it can't be made right.

Contractor locator map

From York Website:

Q: How long can I expect a new system to last?
    A: If you have a qualified technician perform regular preventative maintenance and service suggested for your unit, industry averages suggest that an air conditioner should last 12-15 years (sea coast applications may be less) and a gas furnace should last as many as 20-25 years.

Makes me wonder about the validity of your other rants, Tinker.

beenthere

York isn't the only one to have done this, I've called about obsolete parts for other brands also.(yes they were less then 20 years old)
    Name a brand that didn't develope and sell a lemon.
    R and D doesn't catch every design flaw, and they obsolete the unit if it can't be made right.

Thats why there are things like recalls to fix the errors and faulty parts they made from lack of testing and poor designe. Not a company thet stands behind their produsts

summit
    From York Website:

Q: How long can I expect a new system to last?
    A: If you have a qualified technician perform regular preventative maintenance and service suggested for your unit, industry averages suggest that an air conditioner should last 12-15 years (sea coast applications may be less) and a gas furnace should last as many as 20-25 years.

Glad you looked and confirmed what I said about the gas furnace. There own words "a gas furnace should last as many as 20-25 years". No mater how good the technician is, it does not mater at all if you cant get a part. I don't expect a company to produce parts like a exterior door panel but burners, sensors, igniters that are of there own patent and not available in the after market because they hold the patent should be available for a longer % of the projected life of the product they make.
    If thats the way they run their business then they make a disposable heating system. Why would you want to sell or buy them?

Give me the model number of a York unit you can't get the ignitor for, or sensor. I'll give you either the cross number, or the generic number for it.
    As for burners, I agree its a bite, but you'll find that its only a couple models that are like that.

Your blowing 1 or 2 instances out of proportion.

What brand do you sell?

White Rodgers made, and makes most of Yorks sensors, and ignitors, and is not under control of York, nor do they make all their own burners.

PS: Cars are under fed law to provide parts for 10 years for any model car they make.(or they wouldn't do it)

[Edited by beenthere on 02-20-2005 at 08:32 AM]
    Contractor locator map

Infinity Control

I have my new HVAC installed but I want a programable thermostat and I'm trying to figure if I should:

1. go buy a basic one at Home Depot and install it myself.

2. get an Infinity Control

2b. my installer and contractor don't advise I get the Infinity Control and apparently they have never installed one, (which might be why). They said they did have "some" trg in it and they could install it for a certain amount which I don't know if that is a competetive price or not, they sound like they are trying to discourage me.

Should I look for another installer/contractor that has experience with this product? I checked the Infinity Control website andthey listed one distributor only that is hundreds of miles away

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast